Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
houndkor
Serial Port
Views: 5,400
Message 1 of 134

Severe burn-ins on Helix

My helix seems to have very severe burn-ins.

i am aware that IPS tends to build up burn ins more faster and more strongly, but seeing the entire taskbar and windows frames on start screen really seems too much.

I don't think I am a very hard user. I always carry my laptop in my Maxpedition, with a neoprene pouch, so LCD probably won't be under heavy pressure(plus I always care about the pressures and weight being applied to all the devices in my bag). I am always aware of computer heat and try to keep them low as possible. And I take care not to put up a same screen for a long period of time. Though I try not to care so much about it, let's say I am just not too satisfied...

Is there anyone who is also noticing burn-ins on Helix' screen?

BTW, touchscreen really needs some improvement in terms of durability and reliability. I am using my third Helix right now, and the previous one also had that phantom touch issue(the first one also had a touchscreen problem). This one is developing the same issue as well. having to replace Helix two times in one month and still getting one with a defective touchscreen is definitely not what you normally expect with $2100 device. On Facebook Lenovo is posting reasons why you should break up with your old laptops, but I am only seeing more and more reasons to stick onto my old ones and break up with new ones.

W540(Sold), Helix(Sold), Tablet 2(Sold), Tablet 10, X120e(Sold), X201 Tablet, X41 Tablet(Sold), X41, S30*4, X32*4, 701C*4
You could throw around your ThinkPad because it won't break.
You can still throw around your ThinkPad because it will break anyway even if you treasure it.
Former Administrator
Views: 5,263
Message 2 of 134

Re: Severe burn-ins on Helix

Houndkor,

While we are still investigating the symptoms, I would imagine that touch responsiveness may be more tied to drivers or display firmware rather than individual panel hardware - at least based on experiences with X1 carbon and Twist.   If you have swapped several systems and are seeing similar symptoms, it seems less likely to be hardware.

I am interested in your "Burn in" observations.  I assume you mean a persistent after image that stays on the screen when you change backgrounds, etc?   This is not a factor of temperature.

How long are you leaving the display with one screen or image?  When do you most notice the effect?  Changing from dark to light backgrounds, etc?

Thanks for your feedback!

Mark

houndkor
Serial Port
Views: 5,241
Message 3 of 134

I disagree on that the touch issue is caused by software.

If it was, then it should have happened from the Day 1.

I have a very specific set of utilities and softwares that I install onto all my computers from the day 1, and I have never installed any other software since then. It doesn't make sense that the problem started to occur about a week after the use.

Also, if it was hardware, the phantom touch points should be persistent: it shouldn't move around or change from the force being applied to the device. The phantom touches on my Helix move around or disappear(for a few seconds), or more points appear. I've seen similar symptoms from other defective hardwares of different models, and they were all hardware issues, not software.

My bet is that Helix has some serious manufacturing issues in hardware aspect.

About the burn-in, I try not to put on the same screen for over an hour.

W540(Sold), Helix(Sold), Tablet 2(Sold), Tablet 10, X120e(Sold), X201 Tablet, X41 Tablet(Sold), X41, S30*4, X32*4, 701C*4
You can still throw around your ThinkPad because it will break anyway even if you treasure it.
houndkor
Serial Port
Views: 5,174
Message 4 of 134

@houndkor wrote:

Also, if it was hardware, the phantom touch points should be persistent: 

Correction: "Also, if it was software,"

Don't think any of the Lenovo guys would bother to read this, but just in case.

wreckanize
Punch Card
Views: 5,108
Message 5 of 134

I'm getting this as well. Twenty minutes of leaving the screen on with a static image is enough to cause major burn in that lasts about another 20 minutes before slowly fading away.
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,055
Message 6 of 134

Hi houndkor and wreckanize,

Would you be able to post any pictures of the screen before and after/during the burn in?

Also, in the original post, it sounds like you're seeing the task bar after you switch the metro interface correct?

How long do these apparent burn-ins last, 20 minutes? And finally, when you notice it and shut down the machine, can you still see them?

Thanks,

Aaron

houndkor
Serial Port
Views: 5,037
Message 7 of 134

@Aaron_Lenovo wrote:

Hi houndkor and wreckanize,

Would you be able to post any pictures of the screen before and after/during the burn in?

Also, in the original post, it sounds like you're seeing the task bar after you switch the metro interface correct?

How long do these apparent burn-ins last, 20 minutes? And finally, when you notice it and shut down the machine, can you still see them?

Thanks,

Aaron

My machine has been in the service center for the last two weeks due to touchscreen problem.

I will be getting a replacement next week, so hopefully I won't be turning the machine on again. If I see the burn in on the new one again, I will post it here.

burn ins lasted for about 10~15 minutes, but it was co clear during that time that at first I thought there was a problem with Windows and graphics card.

mr_Jack
Punch Card
Views: 4,979
Message 8 of 134

Aaron, seems following problem happends to my helix too.

Pictures:

http://imageshack.us/a/img577/2286/o1t.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img9/92/rl0l.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img33/6167/2xtx.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img96/9238/cif0.jpg

Sorry, i dont hava a good camera, and these burn-ins are much more visible than on photo.

No need to wait 20minutes, they appers after 5-10minutes on 50% brightness and about 3-5minutes on 100% brightness. Best way to see it is dark gray background, even windows borders burn-ins are visible.

As i remember, there was no such problem from the start. I bought Helix about 10days ago. After it in about 4-5 days i saw this message and checked it. There was no suck issue. And yesterday it appeared.

Is my screen broken and needs to be replaced?

desmondwong
Punch Card
Views: 4,962
Message 9 of 134

Confirmed the same problem here in my Helix.  In fact, this problem happened in my previous Sony Duo 11 too. Is this problem common to all LCD display?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,916
Message 10 of 134

Thanks, for the images. 

Once you shutdown your machine, the apparent burn-ins are gone correct?

If you switch screens, do the "burn-ins" disappear?

@desmondwong wrote:

Is this problem common to all LCD display?

This is most likely image persistence/sticking. Image persistence is temporary whereas screen burn-in is much more permanent. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors