Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MichaelF
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,055
Message 1 of 6

System Update destroyed battery?

I'm using an X61T and after running the ThinkVantage system Update, my battery completely died.  Now the battery light is blinking yellow and the laptop dies as soon as I unplug it.  The battery (Which is two days old) is shown as "Poor" in the Power Manager and I'm getting a message that asks me to replace the battery.  

I called technical support and had a wonderful experience.  As soon as I explained my problem the tech told me that he would send a new battery.  Unfortunately, they're backordered.

I am, however, worried about this happening again in the future.  From what I've read, people seem to blame this problem on the battery's firmware getting flashed or on a blown fuse.  The tech suggested that I always take the battery out when updating and that I shouldn't keep the battery charged all the time (Although, I doubt that the latter is a factor in a 2-day old battery).  

Does anyone have any knowledge about what causes this?  I've read a disconcertingly large number of message from people having similar problems with ThinkPads.  Besides the potential cost once the battery is out of warranty, I'm not comfortable with the idea of relying on a laptop with a problem that seems this common.  

ctoys
Token Ring
Views: 2,028
Message 2 of 6

Re: System Update destroyed battery?

I had an issue with a battery that wouldn't charge when I first used my tablet, had a new battery shipped to me.   After the new battery had the same issue, I figured out that it probably was a software issue.   I was able to remove all batteries, reboot the tablet without the batteries, reinserted the battery after it had been fully charged to 100% in another tablet and never had an issue after that.   Battery still going strong with no issues nearly a year later.  I'd verify your battery is dead and not chargeable by finding someone else's X61 and trying it there.

Might be a different problem, however be aware that the battery error message and indicators can be misleading at times. 

Message Edited by ctoys on 03-01-2009 11:22 AM
Full disclosure: Not a Lenovo employee, just someone with a X61 running Win XP SP2
MichaelF
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,979
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the response.  I don't believe that is the problem as the whole thing happened rather suddenly after an update, but I will keep that in mind if the new battery has the same problem.

Former Administrator
Views: 1,974
Message 4 of 6

MichaelF,

Have you tried running the battery reset function in the power manager?

What happens if you remove and re-install the battery?

What happens if you power off the machine and plug in the battery and let it charge?  Will it charge at all? 

Hopefully the back ordered state will be resolved shortly, and you will have the replacement in hand...

I agree that it would be an interesting mystery to solve.  Could just be coincidence / bad luck.  

Mark

MichaelF
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,964
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the response. 

I have not tried the reset function.  I will give that a try.  

Nothing happens when I remove and reinstall the battery.

The battery does not charge at all.  When the laptop is off, the plug indicator stays lit and the battery indicator flashes yellow.

MichaelF
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,930
Message 6 of 6

The reset didn't seem to work at all.

I am happy to say that the new battery arrived today (Which is incredible considering both that had I ordered it early Sunday morning and it was backordered) and it is working perfectly.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors