Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
8bar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 348
Message 1 of 1

System Update disables Windows Search

I've done this twice now, and I'm convinced that Lenovo's System Update is causing the Windows Search feature to stop working.

I did a fresh Windows 7 Professional  64-bit install on a freshly formatted drive. (X61 tablet 7769-A53 with 4G ram) I applied all of the Windows Update updates until I was told there were no more. I checked Windows Search indexing and it was running fine. I installed MS security essentials and firefox and again went through the Windows Update cycles until I was told there were no more updates. Checked Windows Search and it was up and running fine.

Then I installed Lenovo System Update 5. It said a newer version was available and installed that. (5.03.0005) Then I had System Update apply all of the updates except the MultiTouch driver (because that driver destroys the smoothness of writing in OneNote--see: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/ThinkPad-MultiTouch-Driver-degraded-in... Upon restarting, I find that Windows Search is not running. If I try to turn it on in Services, it immeiately turns itself off again. I used the automated Windows Search fix tool (http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_search) It detects problems but is unable to fix them. It reports the following issues: Windows Search is crashing or failing, Windows Search does not start and gives an error message, Windows Search does not show any results.

Running sfc /scannow to check system file integrity shows no problems before System Update, but afterwards says "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."

I've gone through two fresh W7 installs and this happened both times. Now I'm on my third try and I'm installing the System Updates one at a time and restarting between each.

ThinkVantage Active Protection System 1.77.0.26 does not kill Windows Search

ThinkPad Trackpoint driver 4.73.1.0 does not kill Windows Search

SoundMax Audio Software 6.10.2.7255 does not kill Windows Search

Tablet button driver 4.04 does not kill Windows Search

ThinkPad Hotkey Features Integration 3.86.0000 does not kill Windows Search
ThinkPad Tablet Shortcut Menu 6.33 does not kill Windows Search

Windows 7 Update Module KB2661796 does not kill Windows Search

Windows 7 Update Module KB2615763 does not kill Windows Search

ThinkPad Power Manager 6.62.10 does not kill Windows Search

There is only one update left to install, Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver 8.9.2.1002, so that must be the one that kills Windows Search. I don't want to install it to confirm it is the culprit, since I'd have to start the whole Windows installation all over again. But maybe this analysis will help someone else who has the problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors