Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HoangP
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,995
Message 1 of 10

Tablet Input Panel works only in English

I recently bought a x220t through my school with Windows 7 Professional. My language setup is unusual: though I was born and live in the French part of Switzerland, I like to have Windows' interface in English. So while my "Display Language" is "English", my "Input Language" is "French (Switzerland) - Swiss French".

I updated my system the best I could (both Windows Update and Lenovo System Update say that they cannot find something to update anymore) and installed some programs (including Office, Firefox MS Security Essential... Basically what you can install through Ninite). The tablet input panel worked very well, recognizing and predicting French language with ease - both handwriting and the language prediction using the virtual keyboard; I even started.

But then, after installing some more program (unfortunately, I don't remember exactly what I installed...), the Tablet Input Panel stopped working. I can write on the writing pad but nothing is recognized (and so is the predictive text in the keyboard mode). Curiously though, if I set my input language to English, it suddenly works as expected (i.e. in English, with English prediction and all).

I already tried to reinstall the tablet component (Program and Feature > Turn Windows feature on or off) and the pen driver (deleted it with the device manage and let windows reinstall it). I also tried this trick - but it doesn't work (even by forcing Windows 7 non SP1 compatibility). I also ran spf /scannow in cmd.exe to check if something was missing (turns out it did, but nothing changed).

Does anyone now how to fix this without reinstalling Windows ?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,978
Message 2 of 10

Re: Tablet Input Panel works only in English

Hello HoangP,

I have a similar setting English OS and input language is German.

The same behavior happens to me. The input panel  only works in English.

Sorry but I didn´t found a solution other then that, to install a German OS and use German as input language.

I think its a Windows "feature".

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

HoangP
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,951
Message 3 of 10

So, after using the lenovo recovery tool and resetting my drive to its factory default, I can once again handwrite in both French (my input language) and in English (my display language), and switch the language on the fly on the Tablet Input Panel.

Link to picture

I went to the regional setting > keyboard, deleted the Swiss German language that was already there (along Swiss French), and added English (US) with my Swiss French layout as the keyboard setting. I don't know what that Ink Correction thing is, but I added it anyway.

Why this bug happened, I don't have a clue.

Agotthelf > I read elsewhere (EDIT: there) that Microsoft limits its input language number in the TIP in non-ultimate Windows 7 to two: the input language and English. You still should be able to write in German in the TIP...

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,942
Message 4 of 10

Hi,

no I tried that didn´t work for me. Maybe it is because I have installed OneNote in German.

Anyway I´m glad you have found a solution for your issue.

I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

HoangP
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,447
Message 5 of 10

New advance regarding this issue:

My french recognition disapeared again, with the same symptom.

But this time I remarked that Windows did some sort of update shut down the computer for the last time. Having activated System Restore, I looked what it did. Then I discovered something peculiar:

It seems that Windows uninstalled the french language pack by itself !

I ran system restore and got my french back.

(by the way, the "Swiss french - programmer edition" is a custom keyboard I installed with microsoft keyboard layout creator - it has nothing to with that problem as I haven't installed it when the problem first arose)

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,439
Message 6 of 10

Hello HoangP,

interesting, so its clear you can use two languages, with a language pack. But I can´t manage to install such a pack.Seems only possible for Ultimate Windows Versions.

Thanks for your information anyways, because now I know whats missing in my system, the language pack for German.

Best Regards

Andreas

HoangP
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,384
Message 7 of 10

So Windows still regularly tries to uninstall my french language pack (usually at nights), and I often have to do a system restore to have it back. Sometime system restore fail to restore (I suspect that's because I didn't ran it in Safe Mode), forcing me to reset the hard drive to factory settings to get it back. Fortunately all my documents are on the HDD (I got a SSD+HDD setup), and the reinstallation of my programs is quite speedy (Ninite is a real time saver here). Also, I'm a geek that is not afraid of spending time to solve a **bleep** problem Smiley Happy .

Now, out of curiosity and being a little bit sick to do a system restore every 2-3 days (even though it takes only a few minutes it still infuriating not to have a system that works as it should), I tried a french installation. I was taken aback to see that I can write not only in french and in english, but also in german ! That is in total contradiction with the windows help file, that state that we can only use english and the display language in non ultimate/entreprise version of windows. Furthermore, I also tried spanish - didn't worked - and italian - it worked !

Link to picture

So basically all the official language (french, german, italian - sadly windows doesn't offer rumansh ^^) of Switzerland are supported out of the box - it makes sense since I bought it there - but one or more get uninstalled shortly after. Maybe there's some sort of mechanism that checks the current number of language and uninstall it accordingly ?

I haven't tried to write in german or italian while my display language was english, but a friend that also has a x220t (and the very same problem) still has her display language set in english - I'll try with her laptop tomorrow.

I'll also keep an eye on the other language - if one get uninstalled I'll post another update.

P.S.: is it possible to unresolve this thread ?

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,379
Message 8 of 10

Done, thread unresolved.

Dave

HoangP,

Incidently, what you're doing here is great?Smiley Happy

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
HoangP
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,279
Message 9 of 10

An update after two weeks: I can still write in all 4 languages. Also, on my friend x220t (whose display language is english) those language are deactivated, meaning that the mysterious language pack uninstallation wiped out all those four.

So it seems that it is really a problem with the english version of Win7 (I don't have the time nor the will to set my display language to german, italian, arabic or whatever to test it out).

For those who like to replicate my problem (I've got a x220t - 4301A14):

1. Use Lenovo recovery to restore your harddisk to factory settings (it erases everything on your HDD, so backup)
  2. Set english as your display language ("My language is english")
  3. Set your language and region as swiss, swiss french.
  4. Enable system restore (Config panel > System > System protection; there's a bug in windows that consider that your previous partition was still there; you should disable system restore on that "ghost" partition and enable it on your true c:\ partition)
  5. Use normally until it uninstall a language pack (watch for an unannounced "Widnows is updating your system" upon shutting down) - check using system restore.
Anubis32
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,272
Message 10 of 10

Hi guys,

Im from Poland and I use win 7 pro 64bit

I just prefer English as my default language at my OS.

The point is that with win pro, you can only input one language with ink. To be able to input in more languages you need to upgrade to win 7 ultimate.

I know this is really annoying and dissapointing. If I knew it before I would choose ultimate so.

So my example is eng os, with eng ink input and additional PL keyboard to the existing one.

You may read more about this here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/microsoft-windows-7-forum/27826-windows-7-handwriting-recognition-mu...

Best regards,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors