Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sano88
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,512
Message 1 of 9

Tablet buttons stop working in tablet mode only

Hey all,

I have a weird problem.  My tablet buttons have stopped working-- but only in tablet mode.  That is, I can't rotate, or bring up the tablet shortcuts, or move around the screen in tablet mode.  Also autorotate doesn't work.  But if I switch out of tablet mode, I can do all of these things just fine (except for autorotate). Also, when I switch into tablet mode the screen doesnt rotate or anything, but when I switch out of tablet mode the screen rotates to the direction I defined in the settings (sometimes.. to be honest it seems pretty random to me).

I am running 32 bit vista w/ 4 gb ram on an x61 tablet with the latest drivers.  I have uninstalled the tablet button drivers and the lenovo system interface and reinstalled them already.. I have the latest APS.

Help me out here.. I have no idea why this isn't working!  Don't make me have to reinstall vista to get the buttons working.. Tha'ts ridiculous!!  Arrrgh.

sipp11
802.11n
Views: 5,492
Message 2 of 9

Re: Tablet buttons stop working in tablet mode only

@sano88 wrote:

Also autorotate doesn't work.  But if I switch out of tablet mode, I can do all of these things just fine (except for autorotate).

You haven't calibrated it yet and enabled it yet. You have to get into Tablet shortcut menu setting and do it all first.

For the rest, uninstalled all ThinkPad Tablet Button Driver, ThinkPad Tablet shortcut menu then restar and reinstall vis System Update. Just let it find for you; that's the only thing I could recommend for this case.

sano88
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,486
Message 3 of 9

Thanks.. I will give it a try.. though it's pretty strange that it's *only* in tablet mode where the shortcut  buttons and other buttons won't work.

Active Rotate has been calibrated and activated.. It always has been.. It just doesn't work anymore (it used to! don't know what happened!)

sano88
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,453
Message 4 of 9

Sadly, it did not work.  It's only in tablet mode where the buttons stop working.  Do you think I might have a hardware problem?  Could it be a driver on the Microsofty side of things?  Is it some specialized app that's not getting initialized correctly?
sipp11
802.11n
Views: 5,446
Message 5 of 9

That's really odd. About ActiveRotate, since it uses accelerometer in the hard drive, if you have changed your harddrive or anything, you may check this out >> harddrive firmware update utility.
sano88
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,380
Message 6 of 9

Hmm, no I haven't done anything like that.  I'm talking with Lenovo right now and they tell me that I have to wipe my computer and reinstall the original OS.  It's unfortunately not something I can do right now beause of the projects I'm working on right now.  If I have to reinstall the OS every time something goes wrong, I hate to say it, but next time, I don't think this is a computer I'm going to want to get again..

carnaman
Paper Tape
Views: 3,008
Message 7 of 9

Same problem as above; everything works fine in laptop mode, but when I go to tablet the screen does not auto rotate and the tablet buttons don't work. if anyone has an answer for this I would appreciate the help! Re-installing windows 7 is not an option for me either. this really stinks!

Bitterfish
Paper Tape
Views: 2,900
Message 8 of 9

I have the same problem with fairly different software and hardware.

I have an x200 tablet and recently did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, upgrading from Vista business 64. I have installed all the drivers and utilities (Windows 7 64 bit versions) from Lenovo's website.

The tablet buttons don't work in tablet mode! That is, rotating the screen disables them somehow. As the OP stated, this is patently ridiculous. They do not work in the only situation where it matters. Also, and probably related, the screen does not autorotate.

Considering that this problem happened to me right after a fresh OS install, I am guessing that the issue would not even be solved by an OS reinstall. I fear it may be related to the order in which drivers were installed, but I did them in what seemed a reasonable order: touch drivers, then tablet button, then tablet shortcut menu.

draco2527
Token Ring
Views: 2,761
Message 9 of 9

"but I did them in what seemed a reasonable order: touch drivers, then tablet button, then tablet shortcut menu."

The way that would seem to make sense will usually not work! There is a lot of "interconnectivity" between devices.

When you download the drivers, also download/read the text file! The text file will tell you what drivers MUST be installed prior!!

FWIW: For all functions to work in my Tablet under Win7 I installed  26 drivers (not including BIOS update as well as hardware firmware updates -Intel AMT and SSD- prior to installing Win7 and/or any associated drivers. There is also a hdd firmware update as well.)

Currently own: X220T, X201, X200, T61 X2, X61T X3

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors