Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glenn07
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,622
Message 1 of 14

ThinkPad Helix No LCD Backlight

I am having a problem with a ThinkPad Helix and was looking for some advice on the troubleshooting process. The tablet was dropped and it suffered some damage. When I received the tablet I noticed that it still powered on but there was no video. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the monitor is still displaying video but it is very dim. When I shine a flashlight to the monitor I can see the windows logon screen and the touch panel recognizes me tapping the screen.

The first thing that I tried was replacing the cables that connect the monitor to the motherboard as some of them looked like they had forcefully been removed. This had no effect on the issue as the monitor was still very dim when I powered it on.

I thought that the monitor was the problem and decided to replace the entire screen assembly. I was able to get another monitor that matched the part number of mine and swapped it with the old one. When I turned it on after swapping the monitor I stil the had a very dim screen. If it wasn't the monitor or the cables that connect the monitor to the motherboard then the only thing that was left was the motherboard.

Again, I found a replacement motherboard for the unit and swapped it. When I powered it on I still had the same issue as before, very dim video. I am still unsure as to what could be causing the issue and any help would be greatly appreciated. It doesn't look like the thinkpad helix has an lcd inverter or I would have tried replacing that first.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,572
Message 2 of 14

Re: ThinkPad Helix No LCD Backlight

First, I have never taken a Helix apart, so I am not an expert. On a normal notebook, when you close the lid, there is a Hall Sensor (magnetic switch) that is tripped when the LCD approaches the palmrest by a magnet in the palmrest. If you have a dock on the helix, I would guess it has a magnet so that the machine can capture the "lid closed" event. My guess is that you broke the sensor inside the screen assembly. The sensor is usually somewhere around the outside of the screen. If you have a dock, you might be able to find the magnet by sliding something like a paper clip around the face

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
glenn07
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,544
Message 3 of 14

That's odd because I have already replaced the entire screen assembly. The problem that I have is similar to the thread below:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/Helix-Main-LCD-ribbon-cable-broken/td-...

In which you point out that It could be a blown fused in the motherboard. I am looking at the entire assembly right now and don't see any sensors on the motherboard or the chassis that would be responsible for this. Thanks
glenn07
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,382
Message 4 of 14

The actual problem was the motherboard. The replacement motherboard that I received was bad and also had the same problem with no LCD backlight. I replaced the motherboard with another one that I purchased and the laptop is working fine now.

tech4dummies
What's DOS?
Views: 4,592
Message 5 of 14

I have the same problem. Where did you get your replacement motherboard?
glenn07
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,581
Message 6 of 14

You can find replacements on ebay. That's where I got my motherboard from.

tech4dummies
What's DOS?
Views: 4,575
Message 7 of 14

Thanks
okidedrak
Paper Tape
Views: 4,350
Message 8 of 14

I had 2 helix that I dropped and on the second one I finally figured out why the screen didn't work anymore in both cases.

Obviously make sure the connectors are not damaged and try to reconnect them gently. The culprit however is the backlight fuse F1 which is right near the LVDS(main screen connector) on the motherboard. It probably trips when the connector comes out even slightly from the screen and touches the surrounding ground bar.

Link to picture/image

I temporarely bypassed mine with a thin thin wire until I order replacement fuses which are 2.5amp btw

Mod comment: Over sized picture converted to link. Please see About-Posting-Pictures-In-The-Forums

glenn07
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,306
Message 9 of 14

Great, Thank you for the info. I am sure this will help others that have a similar problem. Do you have a link for where you can get the replacement fuse from?
sfrrazer504
What's DOS?
Views: 3,732
Message 10 of 14

Dear Okidedrak,

Would you mind pointing out which component is fuse F1? I'm having the same problem and I'm interested in giving your solution a go!

All the best,

Scott

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors