cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidtlong
Punch Card
Views: 4,117
Message 1 of 16

ThinkPad Helix: educator/presenter corner I :)

Hi all,

major use for my Helix will be in  the classroom and for example powerpoint presentations.  Have been putting the Belkin Sharecast through its paces.  We can use these devices since our Helix has WiDi capabilities (you need to download the software http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/wireless/wireless-display).  

With this we can beam from our Helix to TV's for example in either mirror or extended image modes.  It works well as I beamed an episode of West Wing (from Amazon Prime ) to an HD TV not hooked up to the internet.  Full HD 1080P.  

I have also tried this with a VGA adapter hook up to a classroom projector.  Works ok in landscape mode but not in portrait mode.  In portrait mode the image does not display full size, it is smaller than it should be.  I can not change that no matter what setting I use it gets resized.  This is not the case if one uses the minidisplay to VGA adapter direct hook up.  So it must be a Belkin problem.  

Thus, right now I would not recommend the Belkin unless you do not use portrait.  It is a reasonable cost and I think you can see the use of this to show movies and slide show, search the web via tv etc.

I am looking into other systems of reasonable cost.

Anyone else playing with this?

dave

Moderator comment: Post split into a new thread. Subject edited for clarity.

Lildevillu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,957
Message 2 of 16

Re: ThinkPad Helix: educator/presenter corner I :)

A major use for My Helix will be my writing... Lenovo is known for its superior keyboards and adding the optional stylus I can sketch out my ideas and notes the "old fashioned way" which promotes my artistic side. 

Another major use will be my digital art... (hopefully soon the wacom pressure sensativity drivers will be available) I am excited to be able to get away from my desktop and intuos 4 and sketch on the go! 

This tablet has better specs than my dekstop computer ! maybe its time to upgrade! 

Getting my i7 256GB Helix Friday (tom!) Can't wait I will update when I find other uses!

FiVukovic
Paper Tape
Views: 3,785
Message 3 of 16

Great, confirmation that WiDi is working - now just for the Helix to hit the shops and here comes my new computer!

yipcw
Token Ring
Views: 3,472
Message 4 of 16

mine widi comes down with lenovo system update, didn't have to download from Intel

landscape works fine.

but i couldn't get it to work in portrait mode with Belkin ScreenCast (FW3.5.28.0, HW 2.0.0.0) at all.  Once I connected in WiDi, the Helix auto-rotated back to landscape mode.

I looked into WiDi with Windows 8 briefly with X1 Carbon

http://users.wfu.edu/yipcw/lenovo/2012/X1C/review/

• Netgear NeoTV Max NTV300SL - need firmware update - supposedly out 3/2013 - http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21223#win8_multimedia
  • Netgear NeoTV Pro NTV200S - not supported
  • Netgear Push2TV HD PTV 2000 - it connect to the point that needs firmware update, haven't tried to upgrade, i didn't want to update classroom equipment when school is in sessions, will re-test in 2-3 weeks.

don't have these

• Netgear Push2TV HD PTV 3000 - supposedly work with new 2.2.7 firmware
  • Netgear Push2TV HD PTV1000 - some people said you may get it work with 15.1.1 software
  • D-Link MainStage DHD-131 - some people got it to works with old firmware/software

@davidtlong wrote:

Hi all,

major use for my Helix will be in  the classroom and for example powerpoint presentations.  Have been putting the Belkin Sharecast through its paces.  We can use these devices since our Helix has WiDi capabilities (you need to download the software http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/wireless/wireless-display).  

I have also tried this with a VGA adapter hook up to a classroom projector.  Works ok in landscape mode but not in portrait mode.  In portrait mode the image does not display full size, it is smaller than it should be.  I can not change that no matter what setting I use it gets resized.  This is not the case if one uses the minidisplay to VGA adapter direct hook up.  So it must be a Belkin problem.  

Thus, right now I would not recommend the Belkin unless you do not use portrait.  It is a reasonable cost and I think you can see the use of this to show movies and slide show, search the web via tv etc.

davidtlong
Punch Card
Views: 3,410
Message 5 of 16

How did you get the system up date
davidtlong
Punch Card
Views: 3,410
Message 6 of 16

I have the push to tv coming 3000
davidtlong
Punch Card
Views: 3,339
Message 7 of 16

mine widi comes down with lenovo system update, didn't have to download from Intel

landscape works fine.

but i couldn't get it to work in portrait mode with Belkin ScreenCast (FW3.5.28.0, HW 2.0.0.0) at all.  Once I connected in WiDi, the Helix auto-rotated back to landscape mode.

I looked into WiDi with Windows 8 briefly with X1 Carbon

http://users.wfu.edu/yipcw/lenovo/2012/X1C/review/

• Netgear NeoTV Max NTV300SL - need firmware update - supposedly out 3/2013 - http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21223#win8_multimedia
  • Netgear NeoTV Pro NTV200S - not supported
  • Netgear Push2TV HD PTV 2000 - it connect to the point that needs firmware update, haven't tried to upgrade, i didn't want to update classroom equipment when school is in sessions, will re-test in 2-3 weeks.

don't have these

• Netgear Push2TV HD PTV 3000 - supposedly work with new 2.2.7 firmware
  • Netgear Push2TV HD PTV1000 - some people said you may get it work with 15.1.1 software
  • D-Link MainStage DHD-131 - some people got it to works with old firmware/software

------

For the Belkin I did portrait mode via extend screen.  That way you can control orientation individually.  That way with a powerpoint presentation, I have the presentation showing on the extended screen (landscape) and the Helix portrait.  Thus I can write on the Helix goes to the presentation and this very well simulates the "overhead" experience, except for the problem I outlined earlier.  Maybe the PTV 3000 will work.  Will know tomorrow when it comes in.  Classes are almost over so all summer to work this out Smiley Happy.

dave

yipcw
Token Ring
Views: 3,292
Message 8 of 16

interesting, i have to give it a try.
 we rarely recommend users use extended mode unless it is PowerPoint only because past experience with WinDVD and Windows Media Player that they don't work reliably showing DVD on the extended display.  sometimes only black window, probably because of video overlay.

have you tried DVD playback on extended?  we haven't decided which external DVD play to recommend, so haven't tested those software yet.  Lenovo Windows 8 OEM no longer comes with Corel WinDVD, DVD Factory, Burn.Now like Windows 7, but PowerDVD packages instead.

@davidtlong wrote:

For the Belkin I did portrait mode via extend screen.  That way you can control orientation individually.  That way with a powerpoint presentation, I have the presentation showing on the extended screen (landscape) and the Helix portrait.  Thus I can write on the Helix goes to the presentation and this very well simulates the "overhead" experience, except for the problem I outlined earlier.  Maybe the PTV 3000 will work.  Will know tomorrow when it comes in.  Classes are almost over so all summer to work this out Smiley Happy.

dave

davidtlong
Punch Card
Views: 3,161
Message 9 of 16

Well, Netgear Push2TV HD PTV 3000  works with the update.  However, it does not work with a hdmi to vga adapter, so this will not work in classroom.

Have talked with support and they are possibly thinking about it.

dave

davidtlong
Punch Card
Views: 3,018
Message 10 of 16

A quick overview for projections.  What I would like to be able to do is to wirelessly project for PowerPoint presentations both in the classroom for lectures and as well as for professional presentations.  With Widi this should work fine.  My other constraint is that in the classroom I also want to project in portrait mode.  Here I use the extended screen with the projection screen in landscape and my tablet rotated to portrait.  This simulates and overhead projector. 

I have done this tethered (direct hook up to projector) with my Lenovo x61 Tablet which the helix is replacing.  I can do this with the Helix with the HDMI to VGA adapter.  However, on some systems there is a resizing issue, but that is another topic.  Here I would like to talk about experiments with wireless projection adapters.  I have explored 2,  NETGEAR PTV3000-100NAS PUSH2TV 8 cm (3.25 in) x 5 cm  (2 in) 1 cm (1/2 in) and Belkin Screencast 17 cm (6.75 in) x 14 cm  (7 in) 3 cm (1.25 in).

My conclusions are that 1) neither was made for classroom/projection use but rather for tv use and 2) I think that with a firmware upgrade these could be made to work great in the classroom.  Having said that, they do project of course and can be used in the classroom/projection, but the image is sized smaller and different aspect ratio than the projection size available and what is typically used for ppt.   This does not happen for tethered presentations.

Belkin

Test using my portable Toshiba projector with a Cable Matters HDMI to VGA adapter

The adapter is a single small cable not powered

1. Works
  2. When screen starts up it says it is projecting at 1024 x 768.
  3. Before activating Widi there is the white projection “space” on the screen
  4. Activating Widi, the Belkin projects fully into this space
  5. Works perfectly for what I would like to do, but this is not the system I would use of course

Test in the classroom with a Cable Matters HDMI to VGA adapter

1. Works
  2. Does not say what resolution it is projecting at as was the case with the Toshiba
  3. I checked the projector, it is set to auto resolution, but results do not change using other projector setting.  Also as we move among classrooms we cannot always be fiddling with the projectors which in many cases are not easily accessed.  System has to work generically.
  4. Before activating Widi there is the white projection “space” on the screen
  5. Activating Widi, the Belkin does not project fully into this space.  The image is smaller.  Should point out that the Widi screen adjust is set at 15 which is the max.  This smaller size greatly reduces the effectives of portrait presentations as well as landscape.
  6. In extended mode the recommended setting are 1920 by 1080.  Setting the system to 1024 x 768 reduced the image size further.

Test in the classroom with a HDMI Video Converter ultimate. 

1. The adapter is 11 cm (4.25 in) x 8 cm  (3 in) 2.5 cm (1 in) and powered
  2. Same issue of projection image as with the Cable Matters adapter
  3. Setting image to 1024 x 768 does not reduce the image size as was the case with the Cable matters.
  4. Given the size and need for power, hooking this to the Belkin rather than the Cable Matters does not make sense

NETGEAR

1. Test using my portable Toshiba projector with a Cable Matters HDMI to VGA adapter
  2. Does not work
  3. Test in the classroom with a HDMI Video Converter ultimate. 
  4. Projects 16/9 aspect ratio and CMYK not RGB, image is pink

Test in the classroom with a Cable Matters HDMI to VGA adapter

1. Does not work
  2. Kept cycling through H___kHz and V___Hz settings (shown on the screen) and for each setting it said it was not supported.

Test in the classroom with a HDMI Video Converter ultimate. 

1. Works
  2. Same issues of projection as with the Cable Matters adapter
  3. Setting image to 1024 x 768 does not reduce the image size as was the case with the Cable matters.
  4. Given the size of the adapter and need for power  this really defeats using the NEATGEAR with the benefits of the small size.

In summary, both adapters work fine for HD TV, I have streamed movies and slide shows. The NETGEAR is smaller and supports Miracast as well as WIDI.  So the NETGEAR also works with my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1.  But this is not the purpose of my review.  We need a system that can be used in the classroom, and I hope that either or both can work this out.  The other issue is that the HDMI to VGA adapter makes a difference and the units do not interact with them in the same way.  I have another adapter (similar looking to the Cable Matters) which works ok with the Belkin in the classroom but not with the Toshiba as it projects in CMYK not RGB and image is pink.  It does not work at all with the NETGEAR (in other words not even the cycle of H___kHz and V___Hz settings are seen on the screen on the screen).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors