cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MelonGx
Paper Tape
Views: 1,047
Message 1 of 11

ThinkPad X1 Helix : BIOS broken? Please help!

I just bought a second hand X1 Helix (an i5 3337U model).

When I tried to press F1 on start, it displayed "Entering Setup" and then became black screen for over 10 minutes and never got into BIOS menu!

When I pressed F12 it could properly display every boot options including USB bootable devices. But if I chose USB bootable devices it immediately returned back to F12 menu and refuse to boot into USB device. If I chose "Setup" then it became black screen over 10 minutes and never got into BIOS menu.

Now it can ONLY boot into current OS Win10 but it's toooooo slow for me to use. I can't recover the original Win8 or even install a new Win7 due to the BIOS error above I described.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 994
Message 2 of 11

Re: ThinkPad X1 Helix : BIOS broken? Please help!

Hi MelonGx and welcome to the community,

You could try a reset and see if it resolves the slowness.  Here's Instructions on how to do that.

You can also get into the bios from within Windows.  Follow the instructions above, but in Recovery choose Advanced Startup, then choose troubleshoot, then choose advanced options, then choose UEFI Firmware Settings. then choose restart on the next window.  That should take you into the bios.

What are you trying to install via USB?

Regards,

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Highlighted
MelonGx
Paper Tape
Views: 955
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the instruction very much.

But I still get an eternal black screen after pressing Restart in the UEFI Firmware settings.

(Edit)

It seemed to be a real BIOS corruption, since I updated the BIOS to 1.37 the latest and it still showed me an eternal black screen.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 950
Message 4 of 11

Hi,

Did you try to do a reset in Windows yet?

Dave

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
MelonGx
Paper Tape
Views: 930
Message 5 of 11

Already did it. But still eternal black screen when entering the BIOS.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 913
Message 6 of 11

Any chance of getting ahold of the seller?

Dave

MelonGx
Paper Tape
Views: 890
Message 7 of 11

Did it mean that X1 Helix had been end of life for several years so I should not expect for how to resolve it but try to return it to the seller? I wish I could return it or sell it to another person.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 883
Message 8 of 11

No, that's not what it means.

It means that if the bios is actually corrupted you will need a new motherboard.  If you can't boot from anything, there is no way to install, fix, or diagnose.

You say that Windows is running very slow, what are the processes running in Task Manager?  How hot is the machine running? Will Task Manager open? 

Your problem could be a bad bios, bad hard drive, corrupted Windows installation, throwing parts at your machine could be an expensive endeavor not knowing which parts are bad. 

Regards,

Dave 

MelonGx
Paper Tape
Views: 864
Message 9 of 11

All Windows functions are working properly.

The slow comes from the lack of CPU speed and memory size.

If I can delete Win 10 and reinstall Win 7 (or restore the official Win 8) then it can be as fast as I expected.

If I can fix the eternal black screen of entering BIOS setting, then I can do the reinstalling or restoring.

But now I can't. All the above suggestions can't.

Already done but still unable to solve this problem:

- Upgraded BIOS to 1.37

- Reset Win 10 to factory statement

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 843
Message 10 of 11

We can't get into the bios to see whether it is set to boot UEFI or Legacy, you would have to know this to install any operating system.

Once updated to Bios version 1.37,  you are no longer able to downgrade the bios to an earlier version.  

How did you make your USB stick bootable? You might have to make the stick UEFI and then Legacy in order to see if that is the reason it won't boot from it. How about making a USB stick with Linux Live on it to see if it will boot?

An i5 processor and 4 GB of ram should run Windows 10 just fine, that's why I asked what processes were running in Task Manager.

Regards,

Dave

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors