Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sfhkman
Paper Tape
Views: 2,061
Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad Helix -- Heat Problem Tablet only mode

Dear all,

experiencing heat issue when your Helix is it tablet only mode?   I have instill the drivers mentioned in this thread http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/Biggest-Disappointment-Helix/td-p/11192... and the problem doesn't seem to have gone away.

I don't have all the fancy temperature measuring tools, but my main complain is that when I "rip" the tablet to be in the tablet only room, it gets so hot to the point where the device is very uncomfortable hold, much hotter than Ipad 2.  I was only browning one website with IE.

I have the 369865B i7core 246gb model

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,033
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkpad Helix -- Heat Problem Tablet only mode

Hi sfhkman,

You mentioned that you updated the drivers linked in the other thread. Do you mean you updated the BIOS to 1.14?

You can check the BIOS by restarting and hitting F1 at the POST screen. 

And just to confirm, you are only browing one website when it gets hot? Is there anything running in the background such as windows update or some other process?

When it seems hot do you know what the CPU usage is?

Does this only happen when you have it in tablet mode?

What happens when it's too hot and you dock it?

Does it cool down where to a point where you can comfortably hold it after you dock it?

sfhkman
Paper Tape
Views: 1,937
Message 3 of 5

PLEASE SEE MY REPLY IN CAPS BELOW

You mentioned that you updated the drivers linked in the other thread. Do you mean you updated the BIOS to 1.14?

You can check the BIOS by restarting and hitting F1 at the POST screen. 

YES 1.14 AND THE OTHER BIOS MENTIONED

And just to confirm, you are only browing one website when it gets hot? Is there anything running in the background such as windows update or some other process?

I WAS NOT AWARE THAT OTHER THINGS WERE RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND.  BUT I CLOSED MOST ACTIVE PROGAMS AND WERE JUST BROWNING ON THE WEB.

When it seems hot do you know what the CPU usage is?

I THINK IT WAS LIKE 12% , NOT HIGH

Does this only happen when you have it in tablet mode?

IT ONLY AFFECTS ME WHEN IT TABLET MODE -- IF IT GETS HOT IN OTHER MODES IT AFFECT ME LESS SINCE I DONT DIRECTLY HOLD IT -- IF I HOLD IT IN TABLET MODE. I WILL GUESS ITS HOT BUT NOT BOILING HOT (LESS THAN 100 DEGREES CELSIUS)

What happens when it's too hot and you dock it?

IT SEEMS HOT TOO -- I WILL MONITOR THE SITUATION -- RIGHT NOW WHEN I AM TYPING HTIS ITS LUKEWARM BUT I CAN HOLD IT (BUT IT BE GREAT IF IT'S COOLER)

Does it cool down where to a point where you can comfortably hold it after you dock it?

NO NOT IF IT START OUT HOT

sfhkman
Paper Tape
Views: 1,936
Message 4 of 5

How do I know if this unit is defective and needs to be returned?

pagrav
Paper Tape
Views: 1,031
Message 5 of 5

So what was the resolution on the topic? I often run at 70 'C with v. moderate use.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors