Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Noeleon89
Serial Port
Views: 20,822
Message 1 of 13

Thinkpad Helix SSD Upgrade?

thinking about getting one of these but the storage space isn't enough. The site listed the drive as a micro Solid State Drive Serial ATA3. 

i'm not sure how to take things apart for the helix since the components are in the tablet not the dock.

Which types of solid state drives will work if i decide to upgrade? i found a samsung pm841 512gb mSATA 3 SDD 

or

Crucial's M500 drives which are guaranteed to work with all lenovo thinkpad helix according to the text on top. 

which drive should i get and how would i go about inserting this in the helix? appreciate any help and thanks.

amm009uk
Paper Tape
Views: 20,509
Message 2 of 13

Re: Thinkpad Helix SSD Upgrade?

I'm in the same boat and I found this: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/helix_hmm_en_0c10337.pdf

It certainly looks doable I don't see any mention of glu/special too etc.

I'm gonna wait for a month or so before ordering - I bet someone will take one apart by then:-)

Noeleon89
Serial Port
Views: 20,483
Message 3 of 13

if you do take it off, post back here to inform me

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 20,472
Message 4 of 13

Look at this pdf:
http://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/helix_fru_bom_20130520.pdf

You'll find compatible drives with FRUs, but unfortunately w/o original manufacturer p/n. I hope google will help.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

amm009uk
Paper Tape
Views: 20,391
Message 5 of 13

I guess this is standard for Lenovo machines either way its awesome to have factory videos. Nothing to stop us now:-)

http://service.lenovo.partner-management.com/content/CourseWarePublic/18124/player.html

Noeleon89
Serial Port
Views: 20,374
Message 6 of 13

wow this is pretty specific and good paste. thanks. now the only thing left is to get my hands on one of them. if theres any more future vids, feel free to reply. thanks y'all. i'll make a youtube tutorial whenever i attempt this.

Wellhousen
What's DOS?
Views: 19,957
Message 7 of 13

Where can you get the plastic tool used to remove the LCD as shown in the video

djenkins6
Punch Card
Views: 19,876
Message 8 of 13

Where can you get the plastic tool used to remove the LCD as shown in the video?

iCAN Disassemble Tools for iphone, ipad, HTC, mobile phone and computer (BST-288)

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=92_94&item_id=055283

rdcgamer
What's DOS?
Views: 19,429
Message 9 of 13

I got my tools on Amazon for a bit less than $8:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHSICOO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creati....  (Obviously, I used only the plastic tools from that set in this operation.)

Just upgraded the SSD in my Helix today.  Took about 30 minutes and I'm now operating with a 512Gb internal drive (though of course some is taken up by recovery and system partitions, so not all of that shows in my C: drive).  I used a Samsung PM841 512GB SSD.  Used Acronis TrueImage 2014 ($25 upgrade if you have any earlier version) in its automatic mode to clone the factory installed disk before taking the machine apart. 

On restart with the new drive the system came up and is working on new (cloned) drive like nothing ever happened -- no issues.  I'm writing this on my upgraded Helix.

Taking the tablet apart and putting back together went pretty much exactly as shown in the Lenovo online training course materials.  (Link given in previous post:  http://service.lenovo.partner-management.com/content/CourseWarePublic/18124/player.html.)

Note you do NOT have to take all the innards out like the instruction video shows.  You can remove ONLY the system board without touching any of the other components; follow all instructions through disabling internal battery in BIOS, opening the case, and disconnecting the display -- then fast-forward to removing the system board.  Same on reassembly.  Once you have the main board out, you'll find SSD in its socket on the opposite side; there are directions in the videos and service manual, but it is very straightforward; I didn't need to reference the instructions about the SSD once I had main board out.

I encountered only two unexpected changes from Lenovo's online manual and training videos: 

My system board was attached by only four screws, not the five as reported in Lenovo's materials.  The screw nearest the fan was not present; instead, there was a foam spacer pad glued in that spot.  On prying up the spacer, I found no screw underneath.  Fortunately, the adhesive they used was plenty sticky to reattach the pad with no issues.

Second, I found metal ductwork attached to the fan assembly (so, to the main board) that was not shown in the videos or manuals.  That copper-colored ducting runs away from the main board to the "top" and "bottom" edges of the case.  It runs under wire bundles and in one place surrounds a connector so can be challenging to remove.  It is not actually glued or screwed down, though, so with care one can get the wire bundles unglued from it and ease it away from the connectors.  I did have to disconnect the SIMM card connector (wire) from both the main board (per Lenovo's instructions) and the other end (also a socket near the case edge) in order to get the ducting loose so that I could turn over the mainboard and access the SSD.

I also don't have the WAN and cellular equipment in mine, so didn't have to deal with those connectors/wires.

The factory SSD came out with no issues; it is indeed a standard socket connector.  The new Samsung SSD snapped in and fit exactly.  No problems.

The system went back together and case snapped back in place exactly as described in the videos and service manual.  No loose points, nothing broken.  It looks exactly as it did before I started.  Maybe 30 minutes start to finish and all is working with no problems.

Here are three photos -- The innards of the machine showing the unexpected ductwork (look for the copper metallic bits -- all of the copper is connected in a single piece attached to the main board, from fan assembly at the top to the little bit of duct surrounding the wiring connector at the bottom).  And of course obligatory pics of the machine running now and expanded C drive capacity from "Computer."

Link to image 1

Link to image 2

Link to image 3

Moderator note: images totalling more than 50k converted to links per forum rules:  Lenovo Community Participation Rules

markcohn28
What's DOS?
Views: 13,850
Message 10 of 13

How did you clone with Acronis TrueImage? I have version 2015 and it does not see my external mstata drive when it boots to clone. It only see the external mstata drive within Windows 8.1.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors