Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noremac_22
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,352
Message 11 of 31

Re: Helix Gen 1 Lost digitizer pen after Windows 10 annual upgrade

HI Dave,

yep I did find that thread and unfortunately I have tried and it still didnt work.  It actually removes the Pen & Flicks tabs from the Control Panel Pen settings app that the WIN7 driver turns on and I get the same message from the Pen Tablet app saying "no supported tablet..."

With the WIN7 driver it will let me get to the point of "Configuring the Pen" (via Pen settings app in control panel) but when I tap the screen with the Pen it doesnt recognise it, soon as I touch the screen with my finger it recognises my finger.

I think I am going to try and download the WIN10 ISO from Microsoft and then rebuild the Helix back to WIN8.1 from the 8.1 USB install I have.  Hopefully winding back the Helix to production build might get the Helix to ID the hardware and hopefully get the Pen to work in that OS.  Then maybe later upgrade to WIN10.  Just a bit worried I'll go through all the trouble of going back to WIN8.1 and it doesnt work and then have trouble going back to the free WIN10.

noremac_22
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,346
Message 12 of 31

FYI quick update, wound Helix back to WIN8.1 (clean install) and downloaded the WINTab drivers again (with pen removed from silo) and exactly same result, same error message "no supported tablet was found". Smiley Sad

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,334
Message 13 of 31

And there's still no difference in the HID devices with the pen in or out, right?

I'm starting to think this is a problem with the detection wire in the holder or a problem with the pen.

The only reason I am hesitant about that is that I'm running Windows 10 as an upgrade from Lenovo's Windows 8.0 preload which already would have the drivers installed for everything.  You're running clean installs, so you have to install the drivers and I know that people have had trouble with drivers on touchscreens and pens before. Also, the pen worked before your IT department dumped the preload and installed Windows 7.  Too bad they didn't burn restore discs, or did they?

But, the pen would still be recognized an an unknown device in device manager when you remove it from the holder and you are showing nothing about an unknown device or a pen, and Linux should have recognized it also.   

I know, more questions than answers.

Edit:   I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with this.  I have no way of dumping drivers in here anywhere, I can't even find a folder anywhere in C: where those drivers might be. 

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
noremac_22
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,315
Message 14 of 31

Hi Dave,

no need for apologies, I just appreciate your help!

ok, so here is a pic from Device Mgr re the HID devices, note no change from the one I previously posted, with the exception there is now an Unknown Device, however, just when I thought I might be getting somewhere with the Pen I believe this "unknown device" is actually something to do with the Synaptics TouchPad not the Pen, in any case I have tried updating the Unknown Device driver to no avail.

HI Devices.PNGWIN8.1 device mgr

Unknown Device Prop.PNGI did download the Synaptics SMBus driver and installed it but it didnt do anything to this device

Yes I am thinking it is the device detection that is the problem. I have pulled the laptop apart to have a look and it does actually look ok, there is a tiny 'lever type" button that the Pen seems to turn on and off when removed and put back into the silo and it seems to be working ok, springs back into action when I depress it.  I cannot get right into it for fear of breaking the other connections (can't see how to diconnect them) so i cannot follow the wire to see if that is ok or not.  I did toggle the button up and down while the laptop was still on so I could see if the Device Manager was doing anything while I was toggling the button, but nothing at all happened.

I managed to get hold of a "restore USB" from another ex-employee with the same Helix which is the one I tried yesterday but couldnt get that to boot up for some reason (I am having the best luck) so I ended up downloading the ISO from Microsoft.  Am going to have another go at getting the restore USB to work tonight or over the weekend and see if that is any different.

just wish there was a way for me to know if the device that triggers the pen is faulty or not

PS: i read somewhere that you cant just copy drivers from another PC, something to do with scripts etc so that wouldnt have worked anyway.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,300
Message 15 of 31

A restore USB?  You mean for Windows 8 or 8.1?  You might have to disable SecureBoot in the bios in order to boot from it.  

I made a recovery drive for Windows 10 on mine and I'm making a full backup and image from the backup and restore (Windows 7) in Control panel.  I still have to make a system repair disc.  

When I get everything done, I'll boot from it and see exactly what settings have to be changed in the bios in order to boot from those. I never used that Windows 7 Control Panel option so I'll be on a learning curve too.

I should be able to test these out tomorrow.

Dave

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
noremac_22
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,292
Message 16 of 31

had a chat with an old colleague i used to work with and he helped me get the USB to boot, I tried messing with the BIOS  and a setting that uses boot"Legacy/Both/Legacy only"  however the trick is something like "Resetting to Default" its an option where you Exit out of BIOS then F12 on boot to boot manager and boot to USB.  Also discovered I needed to wipe the hardware first before booting to the retore USB to start from a clean slate.  So now I am finally back to the WIN8 build the laptop originally came with.  However Pen still isnt recognised! arrrrgh!

I did run the Lenovo System Update and unbelievably it said no updates, having said that I guess if I'm using the Restore build it should have come with all the drivers etc it needed so why would it need to do an update, however why is my Pen still not being recognised??  Maybe it is faulty!?

Device Manager looks quite different than the previous one I posted, probably because that was WIN8.1 not 8;

Device Mgr - HID.PNG

While I was bringing up this Lenovo Support site to read your last message the Lenovo Solution Centre app opened up and browsing that I came across this;

lenovo sol cent - device mgr.PNG

So i went back to Device Manager and changed the view to show hidden devices and there are quite a lot of hidden devices;

Device Mgr - HID plus hidden devices.PNG

Note the Unknown ones, they both look to be for the GPIO buttons, tried updating them and unable to.

Interestingly the System Update says no updates needed, my next steps, WINTAB driver, Windows Update, and another look at System Update.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,286
Message 17 of 31

It's starting to look a little more normal now anyway.  I wouldn't install any drivers until you get your Windows updates done.  Then run System update. I wouldn't let Windows update install any drivers yet though.

Edit to add:  It looks like you are starting to figure this out. Smiley Happy

Dave

noremac_22
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,281
Message 18 of 31

haha thanks Dave, however not sure I am really any closer to sorting it out.

Whew!  Just as well I got a phone call before you replied otherwise I would have installed the WINtab driver by now.  Have 157 windows update items to do so am just going through them now to make sure none of them are drivers.

Will let you know how it goes maybe the unknown devices are the key to this Pen? (crossing fingers and toes)

noremac_22
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,224
Message 19 of 31

must have been close to 180 updates by the time I finished and still not working.  Tried System Update again and still nothing to download.

I decided to do some digging around to see if there was a way I could run a diagnostic or something to see if the Pen silo was even active and in doing so I found this section in Control Panel I have never come across before, its actually an Admin Tool so probably why, I tend to avoid that kinda messing around.

Anyway, I opened up System Information and did some digging around in there and under Software Environment there is a section for System Drivers, did a search for "pen" in there and found wacompen.sys.

sysinfo_wacompen.PNG

Funny thing is this is not showing up in Services under Computer Management so I cannot even try Start/Stop on it to see if that does anything.

I then did a web search on Wacom Serial Pen HID Driver and came across this website http://servicedefaults.com/10/wacompen/  wondered what would happen if I changed the 10 in the link to an 8 and it took me straight to the one for WIN8.

What do you think, legit or not, should I try it out?

Edit: or should I try the WINtab driver first?

noremac_22
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,253
Message 20 of 31

OK not sure what happened but my last reply just disappeared.. try again

must have been close to 180 updates by the time I finished and still not working. Tried System Update again and still nothing to download.

I decided to do some digging around to see if there was a way I could run a diagnostic or something to see if the Pen silo was even active and in doing so I found this section in Control Panel I have never come across before, its actually an Admin Tool so probably why, I tend to avoid that kinda messing around.

Anyway, I opened up System Information and did some digging around in there and under Software Environment there is a section for System Drivers, did a search for "pen" in there and found wacompen.sys.

sysinfo_wacompen.PNG

Funny thing is this is not showing up in Services under Computer Management so I cannot even try Start/Stop on it to see if that does anything.

I then did a web search on Wacom Serial Pen HID Driver and came across this website http://servicedefaults.com/10/wacompen/ wondered what would happen if I changed the 10 in the link to an 8 and it took me straight to the one for WIN8.

What do you think, legit or not, should I try it out?

Or should I try the WINtab driver first?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors