cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
agravein
What's DOS?
Views: 883
Message 1 of 2

Touchscreen / passive digitizer: can it be soft?

Most passive digitizers of lenovo tablets (at least older ones - x41t, x60t, x61t) are hard, i.e. significant pressure from user's finger is required before system will register a "click" from touchscreen.

Are there any models or modifications of x series tablets with soft touchscreens, like touchscreens of most windows mobile communicators and "touchphones" (iPhone, LG Vievty etc.), i.e. tablets with touchscreens that require nothing more than a "mere touch" to register "click"?

Maybe hardness of touchscreen can be reduced through its driver settings?

sipp11
802.11n
Views: 853
Message 2 of 2

Re: Touchscreen / passive digitizer: can it be soft?

@agravein wrote:

Are there any models or modifications of x series tablets with soft touchscreens, like touchscreens of most windows mobile communicators

Hmm...I honestly don't know if there is any mod, but I don't think there is a solution for you so far. Nonethess, my thought of this touch screen is different.

I am PDA fanatics as well, but when I first got X61T, I thought that this resistive digitizer was so great because it was really durable. I could use my nail directly on the screen without fear of scratch. While on PDA screen protector is a must, I wrote graffiti on my Palm until I had to change screen protector because there were many scratches and I couldn't see the screen clearly. From that day, it's over a year, I still don't see any scratch on my X61 screen. Although you have to press a bit harder, but I think it's not that bad.

I also have tx2500z which has really soft passive digitizer and Dell XT which has capacitive digitizer. Yes, XT is the best if you use in portrait mode reading & scrolling things, but what I don't like most is tx2500z because "touch" is too light, I always get dot on when my palm touch on screen while inking. I don't have that issue with X61T at all.

@agravein wrote:

"touchphones" (iPhone, LG Vievty etc.), i.e. tablets with touchscreens that require nothing more than a "mere touch" to register "click"?

Maybe hardness of touchscreen can be reduced through its driver settings?

That's capacitive touch. It is not based the same technology at all. In order to get a point on capacitive digitizer, you need to have something to absorb electron: finger or any part of our body, but nail, hair, etc. Then it will calculate the charge on the screen to locate the point.That's why it doesn't require any of pressure. While passive digitizer needs pressure to change electrical resistance on the screen and calculate for coordinate and with the version on X-series I don't believe that they have any kind of pressure sensitivity of passive digitizer; that's why you couldn't change any hardness.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors