Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chisato
Fanfold Paper
Views: 660
Message 1 of 7

Track point / touch pad stopped working all of sudden

My Helix (windows 8.1) is 2 years old now, 

It was working fine until las tnight, but when I switched on this morning, I found there is no reaction from Track point and touch pad. 

There was no driver update/windows update last night, and did not give any physical shock onto the Helix between last night and this morning. 

Today, I tried to update track point driver from device manager, but it says my version is the latest and not necessary to update. 

I have absolutely no idea what cause this problem and how to solve. I would be appreciated if anyone knowledgeable could give me helping hand. Many thanks 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 616
Message 2 of 7

Re: Track point / touch pad stopped working all of sudden

Are you still under warranty?  I would turn it off and unplug it from the dock.  Push a straightened paperclip gently into the reset hole and hold it for 5 seconds.  I believe that on that model, it is on the left side.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Lovenovo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 551
Message 3 of 7

Did that (reset with paper clip) work?? I am facing a problem that is quite similar (just posted the problem in the forum). Does your Helix work with the keyboard normally (mine does)? Also check your device manager and see if its missing a few items in the Human Interface Devices section (cross-check with the photos in my post here https://goo.gl/xSTCYi). Do reply.

Chisato
Fanfold Paper
Views: 529
Message 4 of 7

Dear Richk 

Thank you very much for your help, and I am very sorry to be late in replying. 

My machine is over 2 years old, and guarantee was expired. 

I had another issue with touch screen on this machine recently (and solved) apart from touch point/touch pad, and it made me thought twice before I push re-set...

After thinking about it several days, somehow full function of touch pad/point came back without me doing anything. 

I was lucky this time. 

Thanks for your kind help anyway. 

Chisato
Fanfold Paper
Views: 525
Message 5 of 7

Dear Lovenovo, 

I am sorry to hear your issue on Helix,,,, 

Yes, your issue sounds really similer to my problem. 

Before having this issue(touch pad/track point), I actually had an issue on touch screen, too. 

Touch screen just stop responding at all all of sudden on one morning.. 

Both problem happened at the different time 

Good news is, my Helix is working fine without both problem now. 

And not very good news is,,,, I don't have anything clear how to solve the issue.. 

Because both issue were disappeared without me doing anything. 

After having issue for weeks,, checking windows update/driver update,, etc, in vain,,, however on one day auto windows update seem to have hit the problem finally. 

Then afterwards, both issue solved. 

Touch screen problem, and Trackpoint/Touchpad problem both came suddenly, and gone after windows update. 

I know its stressfull to see your imperfect Helix, but I just recommend you to wait for 1 month or 2, and keep checking windows update & lenovo update. 

Just for your information my OS is 8.1. 

I hope you will get full function on your Helix soon.. 

Lovenovo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 515
Message 6 of 7

Hey Chisato,
Interesting that similar problems occurred on two Helix laptops of similar age. The good news is that both are now working fine - yes, I got full functionality back after doing a factory reset (thru the option in "settings", not thru paper clip). But the price I paid for that is I lost Win 10 and am now back on Win 8.1. Since I am not sure if Microsoft will accept/allow a free restoration-installation of Win 10 after July 29, I am going to stick with Win 8.1 for now. And IMO, 8.1 is "slightly better" on tablet-laptop hybrids than 10, except for the "click to toggle" window button. Just out of curiosity, were you ever on Win 10 with your Helix?? I am torn, and undecided, about going back to 10, but I can't take the risk anyway until I am sure there wont be any license issues.

Chisato
Fanfold Paper
Views: 498
Message 7 of 7

Hi Lovenovo, 

Really nice to hear the good news! 

This might not be necessary information here, but in my case,, factory reset did not work when I lost screen tourch function... but auto window update fixed screen touch some weeks later.. So I did not mention to you about factory reset, but I am glad it worked on your Helix. 

(From this experience, I was sort of expecting same ending, when I lost function on track point & touch pad.. and it happened as I expected.. touch woods.)

Regarding win 8.1 or 10,,, 

When I was struggling with the issue loosing touch screen, I called Lenovo support(even my Helix warranty was expired), they could not figure out what caused the issue, or solution, I had win 8.1 at that time, however they commented just for future information,, upgrading win 10 might increase the risk of loosing function like this.  

I know win 10 not always cause the problem, probably ok most of the case,, however I have no complaint on current WIN8.1 on my Helix, so I decided not to take even small risk by upgrading win 10,, then I passed 29.Jul without upgrading.. I have no regret now, after hearing your case.  I will enjoy win 10, when I buy next computer! 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors