Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mslunecka
Paper Tape
Views: 769
Message 1 of 9

Trouble with tablet screen

Ok here's the case I've got going on:

A Lenovo x60 tablet, off warranty.  The hinge broke in two places so I had to buy some replacement parts and completely tear the thing down.

I replaced:  

*  The LCD latch (those things are always breaking, I just thought I'd do it while I had it open)

*  The wifi antenna (the wires were frayed/severed from the sharp metal edges of the broken  hinge)

*  The hinge itself.

*  The fingerprint sensor

After reassembling the following symptoms occur:

*  The laptop works fine for the most part.

*  LCD is working fine

*  Wacom Penabled Minidriver shows up in device manager as "Device cannot start (code 10)"...so no pen interface is working

*  Tablet buttons are not working (the flip screen, etc...) except for the power button.  I did a system restore so I think I may still need to load that driver back.

*  The fingerprint sensor is not being detected.

Any idea what I might have broke?  I checked and rechecked all the connections of the cables in the LCD, including the ribbon cables on the back of the LCD panel. 

mslunecka
Paper Tape
Views: 732
Message 2 of 9

Re: Trouble with tablet screen

I just verified this is not a hardware problem with the screen.  I pulled the screen from the affected X60 and installed it into another x60 and it works just fine. On there.

Both X60 screens work on the "good" laptop, but both laptop screens pen functions do NOT work on the "bad" laptop.

I'm at a bit of a loss here.  I did a factory restore to eliminate driver issues as a possibility.  I'm going to try cloning the hard drive of the good laptop to see if that resolves the issue.  

When I swapped screens I left the main cables connected to the L shaped board and connected those to the motherboards. So that should eliminate that component as a possible failure point.

If there's a hardware problem it has to be somewhere on the mainboard of the affected X60.  Otherwise it's software.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 728
Message 3 of 9

First, go to device manager and uninstall the wacom driver. Then try the latest one from the wacom site:
http://www.wacom.com/tabletpc/driver.cfm

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mslunecka
Paper Tape
Views: 723
Message 4 of 9

I installed that driver and it no longer shows the Code 10 error, but the tablet functions still do not work.  Neither do the tablet screen buttons or the fingerprint sensor.

It shows installed with no problems, but it's not working.

My next step I'm going to try is to swap hard drives between the two systems and see if the problem really is in hardware.  It shouldn't cause too many problems because they are identical hardware, purchased at the same time.

I was going to clone the "good" hard drive, but my portable hard drive is full and this seems like a faster method to at least determine a hardware vs software problem.

It seems really hard for this to be software considering the fact I did a factory restore on it, but who knows.  I'll post an update after I try it.

mslunecka
Paper Tape
Views: 721
Message 5 of 9

So I did the hard drive swap.  Didn't work.  The tablet screen still did not work.

So I'm guessing that I have a problem somewhere on my motherboard preventing the tablet buttons, wacom and fingerprint sensor from communicating correctly.  Anyone got any ideas there?  The system otherwise seems to be working flawlessly.  It seems to be an oddly specific set of components to go bad.  Basically everything inside the LCD panel except the LCD itself.

Are there any connectors on the underside of the motherboard that might need to be tightened?  I've only gone as far as to take the top of the chassis off, not remove the entire motherboard.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 694
Message 6 of 9

nothing under. Is it possible the cable got damaged and you are getting intermittent contact?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mslunecka
Paper Tape
Views: 673
Message 7 of 9

Nope, not intermittent.  When I plugged that screen into another X60 it worked for quite a while with no disruptions.

In the affected system those functions fail 100% of the time no matter what I have done, up to and including a full factory restore, and installing multiple drivers from Wacom and microsoft to rectify.

So I know it's not a hardware problem with the screen, cable or the  green L-shaped circuit board the main LCD cable connects to.

It's definitely something inside the chassis.  I'm stumped.  It seems like a hardware problem, but it's a VERY specific and localized one that isn't causing any other issues.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 666
Message 8 of 9

Hi mslunecka, 

Might sound silly, but which OS this tablet is running? If it's running normal XP, then it doesn't support tablet features, it has to be XP tablet 2005 which supports tablet features.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

mslunecka
Paper Tape
Views: 653
Message 9 of 9

It's running the factory OS, which is XP Tablet Edition 2005.  I've run all the updates from the Lenovo System Update utility and everything.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors