Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeLoachPNG
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,496
Message 1 of 4

USB ports don't work after resuming from standby with Windows 8 on X230 tablet

I have just done a clean install of Windows 8 on my X230 tablet.  Before installing Windows 8 I installed the most recent BIOS for this machine (version 2.50).  After installing Windows 8 I installed System Update from the Lenovo Website and downloaded all the recommended drivers and other files.  I've also installed all the latest Windows 8 updates.

Here are the symptoms of my problem: After resuming from standby/sleep mode, my USB ports do not work.  My computer has two USB 3.0 ports and one USB 2.0 ports.  All exhibit the same behavior.  After resuming from standby mode I have tried inserting both my mouse and a USB thumbdrive, but neither are recognized.  After restarting Windows, the USB ports work again... until I resume from standby mode again.

I hope there is a solution to this issue.  It is very frustrating.

Jettatore
SCSI Port
Views: 2,478
Message 2 of 4

Re: USB ports don't work after resuming from standby with Windows 8 on X230 tablet

You can try this (semi-shot in the dark but it's solved similar issues for me in the past with Windows 8/X220 and the Tablet not working after resuming from standby).  Go to control panel, find your USB device(s) and go to the properties for the one or however many devices are listed that apply, and in the properties, find a tab or section related to power management and uncheck the box that "allows computer/windows to turn off the device to save power".

Perhaps it's not the most elegant solution, perhaps it's not a solution at all in your case, but at least here I've found it effective in some cases but I don't know if it's draining more power while sleeping than it otherwise would..   Hope it works as at least a temporary workaround to your frustrations though.. good luck.

DeLoachPNG
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,472
Message 3 of 4

Re: USB ports don't work after resuming from standby with Windows 8 on X230 tablet

Thanks for the suggestion about tweaking the "Allow this computer to turn off this device" feature.  I un-checked that box for every entry I could find under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" in the Devide Manager.  Unfortunately, the same symptoms of my problem persisted.

I went back and looked at the README file associated with the BIOS 2.50 download on Lenvo's support site.  At the bottom of the file it gives a "Summary of Changes".  Under version 2.03 of the BIOS (the version just before version 2.50), it says:

- (Fix) Fixed an issue where USB device might not detected when system resume from sleep mode.

This indicates that Lenovo support was already aware of such issues.  The problem was intended to be fixed in version 2.03 of the BIOS.  However, the issue persists on my machine, even with the latest BIOS.

Hopefully someone from Lenovo can comment here.

talkeetna
Paper Tape
Views: 916
Message 4 of 4

Did you ever get a resolution on this?  I am having almost the exact same problem with a Lenovo T430s.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors