Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

09-06-2008

Israel

7 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 1 of 21

VGA output problem

2008-09-06, 14:45 PM
Hi,

I seem to have a weird problem with my VGA output on my Lenovo X61 Tablet - It simply does not output any signal.

Symptoms:
I set up a dual-monitor configuration (one being the laptop's lcd and the other being an external LCD \ projector), on any resolution, from any dialog (either intel's or vista's), and the external monitor doesn't get any input (although it recognizes the cable's signal).
Only two days ago the external monitor output worked just fine with any monitor i connected to the VGA port. All of a sudden i've noticed it stopped working, and i couldn't figure out why.

System Information:
Lenovo X61 Tablet 7767-B7U, Vista Business 32bit SP1 with all the latest updates, Intel GMA x3100 with Latest Drivers, 2GB Ram.

Troubleshooting attempts (none of these solved the problem):
  • Playing with all the settings in Intel Graphic's control panel.
  • Playing with the settings in Vista's display settings
  • Numerous system restarts
  • Running Windows update
  • Installing latest graphics drivers
  • Switching VGA Cables
  • Switching external monitors (Projector, LCD, 2nd LCD, ...)
  • System Restore - encountered an "unexpected error" and couldn't continue
  • Google-ing for other users with the same bad experience - found only one guy that turned out to be a hardware error.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can proceed?

Thanks...
Options

3290 Posts

02-17-2008

Australia

1962 Signins

50408 Page Views

• Views: 50408
  • Message 2 of 21

Re: VGA output problem

2008-09-06, 15:07 PM
Maybe the VGA port is just shoot, get Lenovo service to look at it, it could be a hardware problem.
Options

6 Posts

09-06-2008

Israel

7 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 3 of 21

2008-09-06, 15:26 PM

If all else fails, that's what I'll do.

What could cause the VGA port to suddenly stop working?

Options

3290 Posts

02-17-2008

Australia

1962 Signins

50408 Page Views

• Views: 50408
  • Message 4 of 21

2008-09-06, 15:37 PM
These things are pretty reliable, but all things that can fail eventually does, it could be a loose connection or some circuit in it is shoot due say static electricity from somewhere, obviously there could be other causes. But since you have exhausted every available method to get it working again, i suggest you just send it back for servicing and let them sort it out for you.
Options

6 Posts

09-06-2008

Israel

7 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 5 of 21

2008-09-06, 15:57 PM

You're probably right. I'll contact lenovo support soon.
Thanks for the help.

Options

2 Posts

09-06-2008

Greece

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 6 of 21

2008-09-06, 18:00 PM

Actually, I have the same problem!! Lenovo X61 Tablet - same specs. VGA worked fine a few weeks ago. Now it has stopped. Additional things that did not work: - unistall/install the graphics drivers - uninstall/install dedicated drivers for the specific external monitor(s) - used a docking station and connected the external monitor to the VGA port of the docking station (the X6 Tablet UltraBase) Nothing. This last ultrabase info is probably against the VGA hardware hypothesis - but then again i wouldnt really know.

I was also at the point of returning it to Lenovo - but since somebody else has the exact same problem i am thinking there might be some other explanation (some conflict with recent updates of software? (incl. vista)?)

Options

6 Posts

09-06-2008

Israel

7 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 7 of 21

2008-09-06, 18:14 PM

Interesting...

I've also tried installing/uninstalling the display drivers, and nothing.

Thing is, when my VGA stopped working, i didn't install any new software or updates (automatic updates disabled over here).

So it makes the recent software updates possibility slightly less likely.

I'd like to hear the opinion of Lenovo support representative...

I also wonder how I can diagnose this problem.

What tools are there that can help me "debug" this problem, and hopefully get to the bottom of it...?

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 8 of 21

2008-09-06, 18:58 PM

ScooZ wrote:

I'd like to hear the opinion of Lenovo support representative...

As it states in the Rules;

These communities have been created to provide a high quality atmosphere in which users of Lenovo products and services may share experiences and expertise. While members from Lenovo may participate at intervals to engage in the discussions and offer advice and suggestions, this forum is not designed as a dedicated and staffed support channel.

You may or may not receive an opinion from a Lenovo support rep.

Now that said, I would try the following to diagnose the situation:

Attach a known working display with a known working VGA cable to the ThinkPad. After starting the ThinkPad press F1 almost immediately to enter BIOS. Change the Boot Display setting to VGA (external screen) and re-start. If everything is AOK the BIOS splash screen will be on the external screen.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

6 Posts

09-06-2008

Israel

7 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 9 of 21

2008-09-06, 19:04 PM

I have read the rules. What I meant is that it would be interesting to hear what someone with experience in such matters would have to say. It was not meant as a demand to get an answer or anything like that.

That being said, I thought of tha talready, and set the bios to display on both screens and it didn't work (on either!). I'll try again later with only the external monitor on and we'll see what happens.

Options

2 Posts

09-06-2008

Greece

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 10 of 21

2008-09-06, 20:24 PM

I have tried to change the BIOS boot to VGA - it doesnt work either. The PCDoctor from startup (through thinkvantage) does not even detect a serial port (I checked in the BIOS and the port is enabled). When windows starts however, pcdoctor does find the serial port and tests it succesfully. THe device manager identifies correctly the monitors and the ports and suggests that they are working fine and that there are no conflicts. When a new monitor is pluged-in the tablet correctly identifies that it is either a monitor whose drivers it has, or some generic pnp (i am testing both).  But the monitors themselves detect "no signal".

The only thing that I can see through the start-up thinkvantage diagnostics (advanced system information) is that the vgapnp.sys is "stopped". I am not however sure if this is significant.

As suggested by ScooZ, advice from experienced Lenovo people would be appreciated...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms