cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dward60
Paper Tape
Views: 3,022
Message 1 of 13

Why is my i7 Helix making me reach for my iPad?

Because it is so clumsy at handling basic tasks, I find myself just reaching for an old ipad instead. 

My i7 Helix will not playback HD itunes tv shows without lagging constantly, losing sound sync. I have never had the slightest glitch doing this on a cell phone or ipad. This is with nothing else running except itunes. 8 gigs of RAM. How absurd is this?

When in tablet+ or presentation mode, follow these seven easy steps to make a basic text entry:

1.Select text field

2. Realize the onscreen keyboard is not coming up

3. Fumble with the taskbar to select the keyboard icon. Onscreen keyboard pops up.

4. Start to type, then realize nothing is happening.

5. Reselect the text field.

6. Type the few letters that should have taken 2 seconds and finally complete your text entry.

7. Consider giving your dog a $2000 black plastic chew toy with stylish red accents. 

Seriously? Touch text entry has been painless and intuitive on iOS since day 1, and I am not a fan of apple.

(Edit for clarity: This text entry issue is when using touch input in desktop mode, apparently it works more smoothly in Metro. Having a touch and wacom digitizer input on desktop programs was the main selling point of this machine for me so I run into this often.) 

The fan flap covers the home button while in display mode. Engineers were paid actual money to design this? My hacksaw will make a better design of this in five minutes.  

Many times I must do a little song and dance of removing/replacing the stylus, dock/undock tablet just to make the Helix recognize touch, typing, stylus input. It rarely seems to know what mode it is in until I tell it twice.

I closed my helix in laptop mode and put it in a bag assuming it would know to go to sleep like every laptop ever, hours later I hear a faint fan sound and realize the helix is running and as i removed it, it felt hot enough to cause concern of catching my bag on fire. The only open programs were web browsers and I was not near any internet connections. I have not changed energy settings. 

The power and volume buttons do not work well for full size human fingers! They were apparently designed to be pressed by popsicle sticks. 

No ports on the sides of machine. I am not a fan of reach arounds to fulfill basic insertions.

How do I enable keyboard buttons while in presentation mode? I understand the reasoning of disabling the keys when they are faced away from the screen, but I'd like to override that so that I can push actual buttons when the touch screen and stylus input are not working! It happens, often.

Spoiler
The buttonless touchpad is awful. When pressing a selection, you are likely to move the cursor away from your target. Anyone found out how to turn off the right click area in the bottom right? I want two finger click to be right click and nothing else. As it is, half of my clicks bring up a menu instead of actually making a click. This is maddening, I shouldn't have to avoid a large mystery area on a uniform surface with every click I make.

Spoiler

The Helix is a great idea, but poorly executed. With all the kinks it has to work out, combined with the schizophrenic environment that is windows 8 it is one expensive frustration.

I readily invite ridicule and corrections if I'm overlooking basic settings or software updates to solve these gripes. There are more complaints to come but I'm clearly in a hurry doing very critical businessy things on my Lenovo business convertible and just want some quick feedback before my full review. 

(edited to make a second spelling attempt at "schizophrenic")

del_psi
Token Ring
Views: 2,983
Message 2 of 13

Re: Why is my i7 Helix making me reach for my iPad?

@dward60 wrote:

Because it is so clumsy at handling basic tasks, I find myself just reaching for an old ipad instead. 

My i7 Helix will not playback HD itunes tv shows without lagging constantly, losing sound sync. I have never had the slightest glitch doing this on a cell phone or ipad. This is with nothing else running except itunes. 8 gigs of RAM. How absurd is this?

When in tablet+ or display mode, follow these seven easy steps to make a basic text entry:

1.Select text field

2. Realize the onscreen keyboard is not coming up

3. Fumble with the taskbar to select the keyboard icon. Onscreen keyboard pops up.

4. Start to type, then realize nothing is happening.

5. Reselect the text field.

6. Type the few letters that should have taken 2 seconds and finally complete your text entry.

7. Consider giving your dog a $2000 dollar black plastic chew toy with stylish red accents. 

Seriously? Touch text entry has been painless and intuitive on iOS since day 1, and I am not a fan of apple.

The fan flap covers the home button while in display mode. Engineers were paid actual money to design this? My hacksaw will make a better design of this in five minutes.  

Many times I must do a little song and dance of removing/replacing the stylus, dock/undock tablet just to make the Helix recognize touch, typing, stylus input. It rarely seems to know what mode it is in until I tell it twice.

I closed my helix in laptop mode and put it in a bag assuming it would know to go to sleep like every laptop ever, hours later I hear a faint fan sound and realize the helix is running and as i removed it, it felt hot enough to cause concern of catching my bag on fire. The only open programs were web browsers and I was not near any internet connections. I have not changed energy settings. 

The power and volume buttons do not work well for full size human fingers! They were apparently designed to be pressed by popsicle sticks. 

No ports on the sides of machine. I am not a fan of reach arounds to fulfill basic insertions.

How do I enable keyboard buttons while in presentation mode? I understand the reasoning of disabling the keys when they are faced away from the screen, but I'd like to override that so that I can push actual buttons when the touch screen and stylus input are not working! It happens, often.

Spoiler
The buttonless touchpad is awful. When pressing a selection, you are likely to move the cursor away from your target. Anyone found out how to turn off the right click area in the bottom right? I want two finger click to be right click and nothing else. As it is, half of my clicks bring up a menu instead of actually making a click. This is maddening, I shouldn't have to avoid a large mystery area on a uniform surface with every click I make.

Spoiler

The Helix is a great idea, but poorly executed. With all the kinks it has to work out, combined with the schizophrenic environment that is windows 8 it is one expensive frustration.

I readily invite ridicule and corrections if I'm overlooking basic settings or software updates to solve these gripes. There are more complaints to come but I'm clearly in a hurry doing very critical businessy things on my Lenovo business convertible and just want some quick feedback before my full review. 

(edited to make a second spelling attempt at "schizophrenic")

Just buy another machine.

Also , you shouldn't just blame an engineer. They have to do what their bosses tell them to do.

Let me state this for the 1000th time. Modern ThinkPads aren't real ThinkPads.

jckc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,981
Message 3 of 13

I, for one, would like your full review, when you have the time for it.  Thanks.  Smiley Happy

del_psi
Token Ring
Views: 2,980
Message 4 of 13

You could have a defective machine or some software problems though.

The i7 Helix is as fast as the tablets from last year so you shouldn't have a problem with basic things.

I know that my i5 X230t is fast enough for being a tablet.

From the software point of view , you need to change some settings ( like for sleep).

Folarino
Punch Card
Views: 2,931
Message 5 of 13

- Are you selecting text fields in desktop mode? I experience what you describe in desktop mode, but in the modern ui apps, selecting a text field always brings up the onscreen keyboard for me.

- I don't think I've ever used the physical start button on the tablet. In stand mode, I pull up the list of recently open apps and tap the start option.

- Agree with you on the touch, stylus and keyboard failing intermittently. It is VERY annoying and frustrating! It happens almost everyday.

- Make sure in power options you have set your laptop to sleep when closed. Should be default but if not, it's an easy fix.

- Yes, the volume rocker and power button are ridiculously hard to use. I change volume from the charms bar. Much easier. I'm getting used to the power but the button is tiny and has to be pressed significantly to work. Not great for the price of the machine!

- Go to control panel, mouse and setup your touchpad gestures. Trust me, you won't miss your buttons.

Suggestion: Disable edge swipes or you'll end up switching between apps or opening the charms bar anytime you are close to the touchpad edges.

dkNigs
Punch Card
Views: 2,902
Message 6 of 13

Have you uninstalled Norton? I have to say I was highly disappointed with the speed of my Helix until I removed Norton, getting rid of that bloatware easily doubled the speed of the device. I can't comment on iTunes specifically as I don't use that either (absolutely rubbish outside of a mac). I have no issues playing HD video though in the built in video apps or Stormplay which I've set up to stream from my Serviio server.

Installing tpfancontrol actually made mine run cooler with the fans quieter too.

The way Windows handles text input on desktop mode however is pretty **bleep** annoying, hopefully it's fixed in 8.1. Personally though I don't use the desktop in tablet mode often, that's what the modern interface is for.

____
Lenovo Helix i7 256gb... wish I bought a Surface Pro for better support...
dward60
Paper Tape
Views: 2,829
Message 7 of 13

Yes I mainly use desktop mode. That's where I run into the onscreen keyboard issue. I hardly use Metro/Modern UI.

I had already forgotten about the edge swipes issue, but yes that was actually the most frustrating issue of all. It nearly made the Helix unusable because it would randomly jump to Metro settings or "recent places" then jump back at the slightest trackpad or screen input.

So I'll definitely second that suggestion: DISABLE EDGE SWIPES!

If I'd had an account in my first week with the Helix I would have been in here screaming about that.

dward60
Paper Tape
Views: 2,827
Message 8 of 13

What would you suggest in place of Norton? I'll try removing it. Thanks for that tip.

I'll try tpfancontrol as well.

jeffreytz
Punch Card
Views: 2,780
Message 9 of 13

If you just need anti-virus I like ESET Nod32 Antivirus (just the antivirus, not the entire "suite").

JT
Lenovo ThinkPad Helix 36984SU
bdr
Punch Card
Views: 2,758
Message 10 of 13

Re: Why is my i7 Helix making me reach for my pad?

I agree with dkNigs.  You need to view the Helix as two devices with separate operating systems.  This is more of a Windows 8 requirement and not necessarily Helix specific.  Metro mode was designed for touch and so if you are in tablet mode, try to stay in Metro.  This will give you as close to an ipad experience as possible.

If you need to switch to the desktop mode, you really should dock the screen and use it in laptop mode.  Keyboard entry works better, touchpad is more accurate than finger, etc.   I still use my finger/touch tor some broad simple strokes such as scrolling through a document, etc.

One other thing I have noticed-  although I normally use Chrome instead of IE10; on the Helix, Chrome is crap.  In Metro touch is unresponsive and slow.  In desktop, when using the trackpad, if you move the cursor past the edge of the screen, it will jump back to the middle of the screen.

I will have to agree on the button issues.  The volume and on buttons are a pain to use properly and inferior compared to the ipads.

I have also had the issue of coming back to the Helix after closing the top to find it with fans running and could see light between the crack of the keyboard/screen to know the screen was powered up even though top was closed and settings were in "sleep when top closed mode."  This has only happened a couple times and in most cases I know it powered down when I closed the screen but somehow woke back up an hour or so later.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals