Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bamaster
Punch Card
Views: 386
Message 1 of 2

Will the Helix replace my Zenbook?

Hello all,

So I've purchased (although not yet received) a new Helix from Provantage.  I chose the i7/8GB/256GB version because I fall into the "more RAM is more macho" camp.  heh

The Helix will primarily be used for the office and it's a great device for that.  However, at home I have an ASUS Zenbook UX51VZ at home.  I upgraded it to 12GB RAM, in fact, and it's blazing fast. But I was wondering if the Helix could compete with it.  Here's a brief comparison:

ZenbookHelix
Corei7-3612QM Quad corei7-3667U Dual core
Clock speed2.1 GHz (3.1GHz Turbo)2.0 GHz (3.2GHz Turbo)
CPU wattage35 Watts17 watts (9 watts undocked)
RAM12GB DDR3-1600 MHz8GB DDR3L-1333 MHz
StorageDual Sandisk SSD drives (128GB + 128GB)Single 256GB SSD (unknown mfg)
GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GBIntel HD Graphics 4000Intel HD Graphics 4000

The Zenbook beats it in almost all performance areas, but I'm not sure I'll notice the difference.  I have a Surface Pro right now and it chokes up on graphics-heavy webpages and doesn't do well while I'm running a memory hungry Citrix client.  I'm returning the Surface Pro for the Helix for this reason alone. But the Surface Pro ain't no Helix.  The i7/8GB trumps i5/4GB.    

I'm not sure if the power consumption difference is because the Zenbook is a quad core or not.  The dedicated graphics card in the Zenbook is not important to me since I don't render video and am not into gaming.  Photoshop quite a bit, but that's all.  I purchased a Plugable USB Dock so I'll be able to have a fullsize monitor/keyboard when I need it.  

Anyone want to speculate on how the Helix will compete with the Zenbook?  

Lenovo Thinkpad Helix
i7 | 8GB | 256 GB
Plugable UD-3000 Docking Station | Ogio case
Guru
Views: 335
Message 2 of 2

Re: Will the Helix replace my Zenbook?

The SSD is a Toshiba THNSNF256GMCS.

It's quite fast Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors