Options

5 Posts

07-17-2016

AU

8 Signins

73 Page Views

• Views: 73
  • Message 1 of 1

Windows 10 Thinkpad software (X1 Carbon 2016)

2016-07-17, 2:32 AM

Hi Guys,

I am a former X301 owner, whom ventured back to Thinkpad and bought a X1 Carbon (G4, 16GB,i7,52GB, LTE, FHD) and I must say first impression is really good. It feels like a better X301 in terms of hardware, keyboard and so forth - not to mention the screen is leagues above the old X301 despite me choosing FHD over WQHD. So fundementals of the purchase are ticking all hardware boxes.

However, here is the let down:

- My laptop arrives with Win7 Pro with all the bells and whistles of an X model. The shortcut brings up all the tools and it just feels like home when I had X301 (Win7 was in its prime)

- Then I upgrade to windows 10 and there is mostly just a standard windows 10.

It doesnt feel much thinkpad like in windows 10.

Have I completly missed the upgrade how-to or is lenovo not providing same look and feed in both Win7 and Win10 ?

SImple example - the classic battery gauge in toolbar which i found some substandard lenovo remake of ('lenovo battery gauge'), which didnt show hours left.  I had to go and get the third party batterybar to do the job.

Further, the shortcuts that normally would give me Accesss Connections and show me the Watt usage of my Thinkpad are nolonger existing and it gives me the windows settings instead.

Im a happy X1 owner, but had I known the thinkpad came with Win7 and mediocre Win 10 features after upgrade, I would probably have bought a macbook or similar which offeres no integrations but drivers and would leave me with 500$ more in my pocket.

So, the short questions is:

- Does anyone have an idiots guide to Windows 10 on X series ? All I did was to install every driver listed in support, plus companion and settings from App Store ... but still feels very little like lenovo integration.

- Any hints on where to start or is 'this it?'

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete