Options

1 Posts

01-06-2020

AU

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 1 of 3

Windows booting issue - what exactly does the reset switch do on the X1 carbon?

2020-01-06, 23:01 PM

My X1 carbon gen6 consistently will not boot into Windows 10 after a shut down. A soft restart is OK, as is resume from sleep (but not always...) But 100% of the time if I do a power on it either goes into the Windows boot manager screen, or hangs at the Lenovo logo. The NVMe drive is invisible. If I use the reset button however, it boots OK every time.

So what I'd like to know is what exactly is the reset button doing? I'm looking to see if I can narrow down what the problem may be. I've done all the usual stuff - ensuring firmware and drivers are at the latest levels, including a fresh re-installation of Windows 10, but the problem persists. What is it about the reset button that fixes whatever is going on here?

Thanks!

Options

459 Posts

05-02-2019

US

322 Signins

7862 Page Views

• Views: 7862
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Windows booting issue - what exactly does the reset switch do on the X1 carbon?

2020-01-07, 11:22 AM

Hi !

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums.

When did the issue start? Did you notice any system updates prior to the issue?

Emergency-reset hole helps if the computer stops responding and you cannot turn it off by pressing the power button. You may try updating the BIOS version directly from our support website and observe if you'll see any changes.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

6032 Posts

10-29-2009

NC

17492 Signins

156162 Page Views

• Views: 156162
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Windows booting issue - what exactly does the reset switch do on the X1 carbon?

2020-01-07, 13:24 PM

If you hold down Shift key while selecting Shutdown from start menu, does problem happen after that?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save