Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alto101
Punch Card
Views: 1,936
Message 1 of 9

X1 Tablet 3rd Gen Dock

I am looking for a dock for my new tablet that will run 2 4k monitors.   I already have a X1 Extreme with the Thunderbolt 230 watt workstation dock that I have tried,  I am able to get one monitor working at 4k, the other is limited to 1080p.  Also, the tablet won't charge hooked up the dock without the A.C. adapter.  I have tried both passive and active Thunderbolt cables with no luck (6 ft cables).

I would have expected that the X1 tablet would support 2 4k monitors but maybe I am doing something wrong? Is the 6ft cable length the issue even with active Thunderbolt cables?

Thanks!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,876
Message 2 of 9

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen Dock

Hi Alto101! 

Welcome to the Lenovo forum discussion! 

As we were checking here, we have found a 2 docking stations that can support dual 4k display. 

Links: 

ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock (American Standard Plug Type B) - https://accessorysmartfind.lenovo.com/products/40AF0135US?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6

ThinkPad Thunderbolt  3 Dock Gen 2 - US - https://accessorysmartfind.lenovo.com/products/40AN0135US?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6

You can try the docking station that you preferred from here https://smartfind.lenovo.com?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 (click on Accessories). Let us know if you have any other concern. 

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Alto101
Punch Card
Views: 1,816
Message 3 of 9

So after researching a lot, the USB-C Dock is not well liked due to limiations of USB-C compared to Thunderbolt.  I was tempted to try the Thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 but wanted the extra  graphics card option of the Lenovo Graphics Dock.   The Lenovo Graphics dock is not advertised to support any laptop except for an Ideapad?  Anyway, after reading other posts I was convinced it would work for me so I ordered one.

Works perfectly so far! I have it connected to two 27" 4k monitors and both are running as they should be. The tablet is charging from the dock (I am not using the tablet's adapter).

The driver install was easy. Lenovo vantage is saying there is a firmware update but it won't complete. Since everything is working, I will circle back to that later.

I loaded up my Steam account and played some Super Mega Baseball 2 and the game played very well at 1080p. I will try a higher resolution later.

The tablet is going to be my work from home/use around the house machine and I will save the X1 Extreme for games and more CPU intensive stuff.

I don't know why Lenovo doesn't officially support more laptops with this dock.

chartmarker
Punch Card
Views: 1,700
Message 4 of 9

This is good news Thanks, I just orded one for my X1 Tablet. It being on sale for $269 made it a good upgrade. Hope to see it before the 4th. 

Wechat
Punch Card
Views: 502
Message 5 of 9

Hello. I just purchased an x1 gen 2 tablet. Do you know if the graphics dock will work? Just to be clear, I assume the g-dock is this:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/acc500012

Thank you for your time 

chartmarker
Punch Card
Views: 481
Message 6 of 9

No reason for it not too, As long as the Tablet has TB3. I use mine on three differnt Lenovo Lattops. 

chartmarker
Punch Card
Views: 480
Message 7 of 9

Yes that is the E-GPU dock I'm using.
lilbalabala
Paper Tape
Views: 242
Message 8 of 9

Hi trying to revive this old thread.

I was wondering if USB type c multiports can't be used to connect to 4k monitors/or any monitor. I used two kinds of USB type C hubs and none of them worked for my X1 Tablet 3rd (although they worked nicely for my MacBook). Should I use Lenovo USB-C Travel Hub instead? thanks

Wechat
Punch Card
Views: 200
Message 9 of 9

Yes that is the E-GPU dock I'm using.”

Thanks for clearing up my confusion 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals