NL

14 Signins

121 Page Views

• Views: 121
  • Message 1 of 4

X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Freeze and heating up on Lock

2019-08-08, 7:14 AM

Hello,

I've been using my (new) X1 Tablet 3rd Gen (i5/8Gb) for two weeks at the office and had several instances where I would lock Windows and when I got back around 5 minutes later and try to unlock it, it wouldn't unlock. It would just show a black screen and the fan was blowing hard. The top back of the tablet also seems to be hotter than normal. Closing and reopening the lid doesn't change anything. All I can do at this point is hold the power button for 15 seconds and restart. 

There doesn't seem to be any difference in manually locking, Dynamic Lock with an iPhone, or Glance Presence detection and luckely it doesn't happen every time it gets locked.

I have the tablet connected to a Samsung monitor (c34h89x) which is also charging the tablet. The desktop is set to Extend to the second monitor.

Power mode (plugged in): Better performance. (The 'Best performance' performance makes the fan blow annoyingly hard.)

Lenovo Vantage shows no updates to install, but I did  manually update the BIOS to 1.32. (The changelog didn't mention anything regarding this issue, but I thought I try it anyway)

Usually I have two Citrix sessions running.

I did not have this issue during the four weeks before at home where I would use the tablet without external monitor.

Any insights? 

Edit: A new symptom : I just tried to unlock with Windows Hello and it said "Couldn't turn on the camera. Please sign in with your PIN". I was curious if the fingerprint reader would work, but that didn't work either. I had to sign in with the PIN.

Options

734 Posts

04-23-2019

US

423 Signins

13382 Page Views

• Views: 13382
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Freeze and heating up on Lock

2019-09-18, 13:25 PM

Hi Apie.

Welcome to the Community Forums!

We appreciate you reaching out for support on this. We would like to try a couple of troubleshooting steps to isolate to cause of the issues. Are you still experiencing the same issues when the tablet is locked but no monitor is connected? If you have not tried this. We would like you to perform this step and get back to us with the results.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

20 Posts

12-01-2007

CA

103 Signins

1017 Page Views

• Views: 1017
  • Message 3 of 4

2019-09-20, 16:07 PM

X1 Tablet 3rd Gen (i5/8Gb)...wouldn't unlock. It would just show a black screen and the fan was blowing hard. The top back of the tablet also seems to be hotter than normal. Closing and reopening the lid doesn't change anything. All I can do at this point is hold the power button for 15 seconds and restart. [...]

I have the tablet connected to a Samsung monitor (c34h89x) which is also charging the tablet. The desktop is set to Extend to the second monitor [....] I did not have this issue during the four weeks before at home where I would use the tablet without external monitor.

Any insights?

I have experienced this issue periodically over the past 12 months since purchasing my X1 Tablet 3rd Gen i7. I have not been able to reliably reproduce the issue. It just happens once in a while. Like you, it seems only to happen when I have external devices attached. I have a Thunderbolt dock attached and a monitor is attached through that dock. I found the frequency of the issue went down considerably since updating Thunderbolt firmware. A year ago, it was happening once every week or two. It reduced to once every month or two. I think it also went down when I updated my BIOS, and in fact, I'm not sure I've experienced the issue with the Bios v1.32 that you also have installed.

Once or twice, I believe I managed to get the login screen to appear on my extended monitor after detaching the monitor's power cable (not just turning it on and off), and then cycling through the physical input source button on the monitor. So I think that the laptop may in fact be sitting at a login screen that you can't see, and that if you knew the exact set of keystrokes, you might be able to log in without seeing the screen, and once that happend, my theory is that the laptop would recover to normal. But aside from those one or two times when I played with the external monitor, all the other times, like you, everything just stays blank. Detaching from the dock entirely makes no difference. The runaway CPU and fan is the thing that bothers me the most. I wonder what the CPU is trying to do??

Phil.

Options

3 Posts

06-08-2019

NL

14 Signins

121 Page Views

• Views: 121
  • Message 4 of 4

2019-10-01, 10:41 AM
I've tested the last few weeks/month without the monitor attached and just the charging cable. I've not had any issues since then.

I do notice that the Citrix client has a hard time dealing with connecting/disconnecting an external monitor if I occasionally connect one, and/or sometimes when I unlock the tablet. It will just start resizing the window like crazy before it ends up in either the desired state. And sometimes it shows the Citrix bar on top in a different resolution than it actually registers itself. (So, I have to click on a different place to unfold/show the menu bar than the tab actually is)

I haven't tried with both the monitor and power cable attached yet.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete