cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RLatND
Token Ring
Views: 6,805
Message 1 of 8

X1 Tablet CTRL-ALT-DEL No Win Button - How to get past CTRL-ALT-DEL at logon?

I received our first X1 Tablet this week and have found an issue related to this device's lack of a hardware Windows Button.  My organization's standard group policy enforces CTRL-ALT-DEL at login. When working in tablet mode (without the hardware keyboard connected), there doesn't seem to be a way to get past the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen.

On previous tablet devices, like the Lenovo Helix 2, you would simultaneously press the Power + Windows Button to replicate the CTRL-ALT-DEL entry.   I've tried pressing Power + the volume control keys (since those are the only other hardware buttons), but that doesn't do anything.  Apparently Microsoft uses Power + Volume-up on the Surface Pro 4 in order to solve this issue.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this other than disabling the security standard requirement?  Does Lenovo have a driver or firmware update that can be installed to make the volume controls perform this task, like the Surface Pro 4 does?

BijiZ
Paper Tape
Views: 6,593
Message 2 of 8

Re: X1 Tablet CTRL-ALT-DEL No Win Button - How to get past CTRL-ALT-DEL at logon?

I'm also very much interested in an answer here. We start to deploy this device widely and for an Enterprise it is common to have such security (CTRL+ALT+DEL) enabled. Is this something that can only be bypassed using Accessibility Features (if at all) or BIO authentication methods?

Thanks.

CCompton1
Paper Tape
Views: 6,552
Message 3 of 8

Re: X1 Tablet CTRL-ALT-DEL No Win Button - How to get past CTRL-ALT-DEL at logon?

I have been looking for a solution to this issue as well. I have tried different programs and have come up empty on solutions. 

Lenovo Employee bohall
Lenovo Employee
Views: 6,520
Message 4 of 8

This feature has been added in BIOS 1.16

<1.16>

UEFI: 1.16 / ECP: 1.08

- (New) Supported Power + Volume up button combination to notify "CTRL+ALT+DEL"

action to Windows OS.

Note: This combination works in OS environment only.

Note: Press and hold Power button. Then press Volume Up button within 1

seconds, then "CTRL+ALT+DEL" is notified to Windows OS.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS112372

RLatND
Token Ring
Views: 6,513
Message 5 of 8

This was working in BIOS 1.16 and 1.18, but it is no longer working now that I've installed the most recent BIOS Version 1.19:  http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS112372

It's interesting that in this newest BIOS version 1.19 they went back to ECP 1.07.   Perhaps reverting to ECP 1.07 is what has taken away the "Power Button & Volume Up" CTRL-ALT-DEL capability?

Lenovo Employee bohall
Lenovo Employee
Views: 6,505
Message 6 of 8

You're probably correct.

<1.19>
UEFI: 1.19 / ECP: 1.07
- (New) Picked up ECFW N1LHT20W Temporarily.
Former Employee
Views: 6,374
Message 7 of 8

A BIOS with ECFW that restores CTRL-ALT-DEL functionality at login passed test and is being scheduled to be released.

When it becomes available, the BIOS with updated ECFW will be available here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Tablets/ThinkPad-Tablet-Series/ThinkPad-X1-Tablet/downloads...

Thank you,

Former Employee
Views: 6,283
Message 8 of 8

In response to customer reports that login was not possible on a X1 Tablet using CTRL-ALT-DEL commands due to the lack of a Windows hardware button, Lenovo has provided a solution via BIOS update.

Version 1.54

UEFI: 1.54 / ECP: 1.11

(New) Added support of Remote Secure Erase with Intel AMT.

(New) Supported USB Type-C LAN dongle.

(New) Supported new memory module.

(New) New POST logo support.

(New) Updated the CPU microcode.

(New) Added support for Microsoft Windows 10 Device Guard feature.

(New) Supported Power + Volume up button combination to notify "CTRL+ALT+DEL" action to Windows OS again.

(Fix) Fixed an issue where space key was not recognized as BIOS password.

BIOS v1.54 can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Tablets/ThinkPad-Tablet-Series/ThinkPad-X1-Tablet/downloads...

Thank you,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors