Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 373
Message 41 of 46

Re: X1 Tablet Gen 2 - FWNV22 SSD firmware update BRICKED my system

@NealD85 wrote:

Do we have confirmation from Lenovo that this bad firmware has been removed from System Update?

Yes, it was removed on August 4.

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 338
Message 42 of 46

EDIT - I believe we have recovered all of the drives that were bricked by the bad firmware update during August 1-4, 2018.  If you started seeing a 2100 error after August 4, the problem is something different.  Please use your warranty and contact Lenovo to request a drive replacement.

All,

We are very sorry for this SSD firmware update problem.  We confirmed that we are able to recover the drive and make it work again, but this process has to be done in our lab because special hardware is needed to do the recovery.  All of the data on the drive is still there, it's just a firmware bug which makes the drive not boot up, so then the PC is not able to access the drive.

If you still have the non-functional drive, and want to get the drive working again, please send me a private message with the following information:

1.  Your full name (first and last)

2.  Your e-mail address

3.  Your location (e.g., city/state/country)

4.  Your PC model number and serial number.  This can be found on the barcode sticker on the bottom of your PC (sometimes, under the battery) or in BIOS setup.

We are still working out the details of how this process will work, but I've been asked to collect this information from our customers who need to recover their drives.

If you don't need to recover the drive, then you can just request warranty service and they should be able to replace the drive with a new one.

Again, we are sorry for this trouble.

nrk227777
Paper Tape
Views: 77
Message 43 of 46

I'm having this EXACT same problem with an X1 Carbon 20FB machine and its 512GB SSD.

Just sent you a message someotherguy. Hopefully you can help me resolve this!

drjochen
Punch Card
Views: 74
Message 44 of 46

When did you do the update? For my X1 Yoga, the Lenovo software tried to push a SSD upgrade today. I refused it.

nrk227777
Paper Tape
Views: 68
Message 45 of 46

So it was one of my end users who installed the update (this is their work machine) and this was a week ago. Since then, the machine won't boot into Windows and the C: drive isn't detected. Running the lsblk command from a Live Linux USB showed the drive, as well as the partitions, but there doesn't seem to be any way to mount them.

drjochen
Punch Card
Views: 64
Message 46 of 46

The drive is dead. We tried everything to get it back. But it’s simply dead.