Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mshafe01
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,366
Message 1 of 10

X200 Tablet blank screen after Vista 64 initial startup symbol appears

I installed the latest updates for my X200 tablet from Lenovo and after that install, everything starts up, I see the little round windows graphic and the cool intro sound, then the screen goes blank....the HD light continues to blink every now and then, but the system never comes back to life and I've left it in this state hoping it would "wake up" overnight.

I'm guessing I need to reinstall Vista 64, but when I purchased this unit a couple months ago, I couldn't figure out how to create these disks.....

, and my last backup was backed up to my USB external HD, and in it's present state, I can't access this USB drive.

I've done the fnct F7 and fnct F8, still no response.

I depend on this laptop for business and need it for a meeting in the morning.  Is there a way to prove I'm a fully legal MS Vista 64 owner and "download" this software to another computer in my house to burn them to disk and then use that to reinstall Vista 64?  Any other suggestions?

BTW, I absolutely love my X200 tablet.  As a result of just using it daily in meetings, close to 25 other folks have purchased the same one after seeing the "pen mode"

Please help me bring her back to life..... Smiley Sad

TabletTyro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,355
Message 2 of 10

Re: X200 Tablet blank screen after Vista 64 initial startup symbol appears

Welcome to the club! Guess I'll cross-link these two posts for others to stumble upon.

Log-in fails after October 2009 ThinkVantage updates

I'd always assumed that the restore disks I had were for a Vista 64 restore. But the only thing I have are a rescue and recovery disk to use with Win XP Professional and 2 Product Recovery Disks for XP Tablet PC Edition SP2. I can't find any disks with Vista 64. Was this supposed to happen? Doesn't sound like you have a Vista 64 restore either.

I too used mine for work. This is quite the bummer. I'll probably hold out for another week or so to see if there's a fix before breaking down and doing a re-image.

There is a X61T owner that has a similar problem to us. Using Vista as well but not sure which version.

Vista ex. boot/ logon issues after installing patches on a x61 tablet
I wonder how many others are going to have the same problem.

TabletTyro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,347
Message 3 of 10

Hey, I was poking around and as a short-term hack, you can bring up the Task Manager and bring up your desktop environment.

For instance, Ctrl-Alt-Del -> Task Manager -> File -> New Task (Run...) and then enter in the application name or the path.So, for instance, you can type in "explorer", and it brings up your desktop environment like your desktop, windows task bar, etc. It's not quite 100% functionality, but it might tide you over until there's a proper fix for this.

My ThinkPad can still recognize my wired and wireless network and log-in in the black-screen state. I can still use the stylus in tablet mode. Can still run OneNote and so on.

mshafe01
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,290
Message 4 of 10

Tried to reinstall Vista - it wound up erasing everything and reformatting my HD.....uuuurrrrggghhhhh...

after the latest update from Lenovo through their update manager, back to the black screen with white fully movable mouse arrow......

From task manager running "explorer.exe" does bring up my desktop, but, otherwise, each and everytime, the blackscreen appears......come on Lenovo, we need this fixed ASAP

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,281
Message 5 of 10

mshafe01 wrote:...come on Lenovo, we need this fixed ASAP

Just a reminder that this is a users helping users community, moderated by volunteers, and although a few employees do fly by on a volunteer basis, it is not a monitored Lenovo support channel.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
mshafe01
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,239
Message 6 of 10

if Lenovo staff isn't actively involved, what is the direct way to reach Lenovo support?
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,236
Message 7 of 10

In the US, call 1-800-426-7378 or submit a request.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
cecilyen
Serial Port
Views: 2,176
Message 8 of 10

I think I figure out what's wrong here.Basically, the touch screen driver screw up the registry of Winlogon.

The correct value for HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit should be C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exeBut, this stupid driver change the value into :\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe and miss the "c" infor of it.It make the system not bootable.

The solution is adding this "c" back into the registry by running regedit after you got a black screen.

x200 Tablet, 4GB RAM, Pen/Hand Touch Screen
Windows 7 Pro x64
TabletTyro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,938
Message 9 of 10

Great catch, Cecilyen! That works for me.

When I boot up my tablet as a laptop, the orientation still comes out at the wrong orientation. It sorts itself out properly after I log-in, but it's still annoying. This happened when the updates messed up the registry, and I still haven't figured out how to get it to load up in the proper orientation at the start.

spatel2305
Paper Tape
Views: 385
Message 10 of 10

I checked my registry; however, it looks like it should but it has a "." at the end of ...exe

I still have the problem when I restart.  I have to force shut down by holding the power button and then restart in safemode and go through a proper shutdown and then restart.

My other issue I have now is that when I start up my computer the orientation of hte screen is in portrait mode.  I have to hit the rotation button on the bottom of the screen to get back to landscape mode.  Any help?

Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors