cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shayo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,550
Message 1 of 17

X200 Wireless problem - finds available networks but can not connect to them.

Hi all,

I have a weird and annoying problem. My X200 will detect wireless networks but refuses to connecto to them.

It's a brand new computer that I just got.

Some info:

ThinkPad X200 7454-2HU, running Vista x64.

Latest drivers installed, all downloaded using the Lenovo automatic driver download application.

The driver detected in Device Manager is : Intel Wifi Link 5100 AGN.

There is no problem with the wireless network (other computers connect to it without any problem).

I tried to cancel the "n" option, leaving it with a "b/g", but it didn't help.

There is only one problematic device in the Device Manager, and it is "SM Bus Controller" (Can't figure out what it is and windows update nor Lenovo update do not solve this problem).

When I use "Intel ProSet/Wireless Tools" Diagnose, I get:

Hardware Test: Passed (Wireless Hardware is enabled)

Driver TestSmiley Tongueassed. Driver is loaded. NET w5v64 Versio: 12.0.0.82

Radio Test: Passed. Radio is ON.

Scan TestSmiley Tongueassed. There are 12 Networks available to connect.

Association Test: Failed. Not Associated.

When I look at the Statistics, it seems that the card is only receiving bytes (nothing is sent).

What do you think? Is it a hardware or software problem?

Any idea what can be done if it is a software issue?

S.

Lenovo Employee Soap
Lenovo Employee
Views: 8,525
Message 2 of 17

Re: X200 Wireless problem - finds available networks but can not connect to them.

To fix the error with the SM Bus Controller, you should install the Intel Chipset software:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70315

I am not sure if this will fix your wireless issue, but it is not going to hurt it either.

What is the version of your wireless driver?  Have you tested your wireless using PC Doctor?

shayo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,510
Message 3 of 17

Re: X200 Wireless problem - finds available networks but can not connect to them.

Hi,

OK. I downloaded the Intel chipset and the SM problem was fixed.

Wireless still not working properly.

The driver I am using is 12.0.0.8, Dated 7/8/2008.

I don't have PC Doctor. Any other suggestions?

S.

dfumento
Serial Port
Views: 8,497
Message 4 of 17

There are known problems with Vista and WiFi that did not occur under XP mostly because Vista does more than XP (such as IP6).  First check that your WiFi router has the latest firmware.

Then check out:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=67711

X201s 1440x900 LED backlight 2.13 GHz, 8 GB, Intel X25-M 160 GB SSD, Intel 6200 a/b/g/n, BT, 6-cell, 9-cell, Windows Ultimate 7 x64 SP1 RC, 3G/4G WiFi Hotspot, Lenovo USB to DVI converter
shayo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,481
Message 5 of 17

Hi,

Interesting links, but it didn't solve my problem.

I tried to change the DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle but it still doesn't work.

Any other ideas?

S.

shayo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,480
Message 6 of 17

Oh,

Forgot to mention.

I talked with the Lenovo tech support, and they say that if I see wireless networks but can not connect to them

then it is probably not a hardware problem.

I'm still not convinced completely...

S.

dfumento
Serial Port
Views: 8,472
Message 7 of 17

Well, are you certain the WiFi router has the most recent firmware?  Also, be certain to test things out by turning off all security.  The changes I mentioned often help with being able to connect locally but not going through to the internet.  With all security off and the most recent firmware rev in your router are you still not able to connect, even locally?
X201s 1440x900 LED backlight 2.13 GHz, 8 GB, Intel X25-M 160 GB SSD, Intel 6200 a/b/g/n, BT, 6-cell, 9-cell, Windows Ultimate 7 x64 SP1 RC, 3G/4G WiFi Hotspot, Lenovo USB to DVI converter
dfumento
Serial Port
Views: 8,468
Message 8 of 17

You can post a question on the Microsoft newsgroup/forum that deals with wireless networking:

news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless

Also, consider using www.crossloop.com which is an on-line consulting service.  I think you'll find someone whose fees might be very reasonable.  There are consultants that deal with wireless networking issues.

Message Edited by dfumento on 10-02-2008 05:03 PM
Message Edited by dfumento on 10-02-2008 05:03 PM
Highlighted
shayo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,451
Message 9 of 17

I do not think the problem is with the router.

I even tried to login to my university wireless network (Which is vista verified...) and the computer will not connect.

I always get the same message: "Wireless association failed because windows did not receive any response from the router"

Does any of you guys have X200 and Viste x64 machine running smoohtly? maybe we could compare exactly the configuration and figure this thing out?

HELP!!!

S.

Lenovo Employee Soap
Lenovo Employee
Views: 8,392
Message 10 of 17

I am running 32bit Vista Business with access connections and an Intel 5300 card.  I am using driver version 12.0.0.82 which was just released late yesterday, I believe.  I do not have any issues connecting to any wireless network.  See if you can install this update and try it.  

Have you tried connecting to a wireless router that does not have security enabled?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors