cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flatpro
Paper Tape
Views: 2,178
Message 1 of 4

X200T - Power On Password - How to reset?

Hi,

Does anyone know how to reset the power on password for the X200t. The lenovo website says you can do this by removing the back-up battery (bios battery) however I do not know where it is located.  

The userguide says you need to take it to Lenovo to have it reset.  I phoned Lenovo UK, and they did not seem aware they sold laptops that had anykind of password protection on, or for that matter laptops at all. 

Thanks for any help

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,167
Message 2 of 4

Re: X200T - Power On Password - How to reset?

flatpro, welcome to the forum,

are you saying that you purchased a new system and it is requiring you to enter a password?

What exactly are you seeing?

Thanks

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

flatpro
Paper Tape
Views: 2,162
Message 3 of 4

Hi,

My apologies for not being more specific. 

I brought a new X200T from eBay, which arrived today.  The seller had started the laptop to check it worked and take a picture of it operating.  The system asked him to set a password as it was the first time he started it. 

I brought the system, he forego he set a password and now can not remember it.

I see the standard boot screen then about 5 seconds after start up the Power-on password logo as shown on this page on a black screen. I get three attempts at the password before I get locked out and need to restart. 

I phone Lenovo and they didn't really know what to do and did not seem to understand the problem. 

I think that on the X200 the backup battery is under a cover near the ram, however the X200T seems to be different (the page above suggest taking out the backup (bios) battery.  

So if anyone has any advice on who at lenovo may understand this problem, or know how to reset a Power-on password that would really help me (and the seller who has a £1000 brick atm) a lot. 

d  b  4  8   9 [at] cam.ac.uk

Thanks, for your help so far!

Message Edited by flatpro on 05-07-2009 11:57 AM
Message Edited by flatpro on 05-07-2009 11:59 AM
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,158
Message 4 of 4

flatpro,

you aren't going to like this and there is also no easy way of explaining it; you have a problem, but here goes;

If the seller was asked to enter a password, it was a windows administrator password and NOT a power on password. Pulling the bios battery could provoke you to be required to enter the supervisor password if one has been set. If this is also unknown, you have bought a brick.

My advice to you; get the seller to tell you the password they forgot, or get your money back PDQ. Don't be thinking about the seller's brick, think about yours.

Regards

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors