cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jyeah
Token Ring
Views: 2,191
Message 1 of 18

X201T, Normal CPU Operating Temperatures? WWAN Question?

Hello,

I have two questions that I would like ask other X201T owners, your response is much appreciated.

1. Recently I've been taking my tablet with me to work and research, and I noticed that my tablet runs uncomfortably hot on my lap sometimes. Since then, I have been monitoring my system temperatures and it seems unusually high. It doesn't feel safe either. I was wondering what the normal operating temperature range for the X201T is?

Problem Description:

• My system runs idle (no tasks taking up CPU usage) set to "FANS ALWAYS ON" with CPU temperatures ranging anywhere from ~120 degrees F to ~140 degrees F (it's usually around 130 F).
  • And under stress (when I'm running games like Warcraft 3) with "FAN ALWAYS ON", the CPU temperatures range from ~175 F to ~185 F.

Test Environment:

• Room Temperature with AC on is about 68-70 F.
  • Tablet is placed on a regular wood desk (not on my lap, it's too hot for me).
  • Cooling vents are fully clear and not blocked; and the hot air from the tablet is fully able to be ventilated.
  • Drivers are all updated to the most current updates using System Update from Lenovo and a clean installation of the Windows 7 was performed prior to testing.
  • HWMonitor 1.16/Core Temp/Real Temp were used to monitor the system temperatures.

I checked the specifications of the Intel Core i7-640LM and it shows:

TJUNCTION
105°C

which translates to 221 F. I know my CPU isn't working at the maximum specifications, but the temperatures of ~186 F still seems quite hot and unsafe.

2. My tablet have a WWAN card installed (Qualcomm Gobi 2000 3G). Right now, in my "Access connections" the card it is turned off. However, whenever I turn on my tablet, the indicator light still stays on until my tablet is fully loaded into Windows. The reason why I thought this is not normal is because both the bluetooth indicator and the WLAN lights are turned off when the startup is past POST and does not turn on until Windows loads up. The problem of the WWAN card staying on is bad because it drains my battery life until I log into Windows, which can be for a while sometimes, I was wondering if anyone had any fix? Or is there a problem with the system. This is not a big problem, but it does bother me quite a bit.

Testing Environment:

• I checked the wiring of the WWAN card under the palm rest and everything is wired and plugged in properly.
  • A clean install of Windows 7 with most current drivers did not resolve this issue.

Your help is much appreciated,

John

jyeah
Token Ring
Views: 2,164
Message 2 of 18

Re: X201T, Normal CPU Operating Temperatures? WWAN Question?

The Range of the Temperature.Idle

Load

jyeah
Token Ring
Views: 2,162
Message 3 of 18

The Images are respectively:

1. Full range of Operating Temperatures.

2. Operating temperatures under Stress.

3. Operating temperatures while Idle.

jyeah
Token Ring
Views: 2,150
Message 4 of 18

Please note that the vents of the tablet was also cleaned to remove any dust build up.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,142
Message 5 of 18

I have two X201 tablet systems at my desk at work.  I have never noticed them to run hot, but I have heard this complaint from another customer also.  Next week I will run cpuid and see how my results compare to yours.  Please let me know your 7-digit MTM (from the barcode sticker on the bottom of your system) so I can compare configurations.  Also are you running 32-bit or 64-bit windows?

As for your WWAN issue, I don't know about that but I can try to find out. 

Feel free to check in if you haven't heard anything from me by middle of next week.

jyeah
Token Ring
Views: 2,126
Message 6 of 18

Hi,

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 (Updated to SP1 with newest update and drivers as I have mentioned earlier in my post) with 8GB of RAM running on a Core i7-640LM.

My 7-digit MTM is XX-XXXX. It's also a 0831CTO.

The machine definitely runs a lot hotter than a lot of reviews I've been reading about on the X201T, which is why I'm asking.

Let me know about the WWAN issue as well.

Thank you so much.

jyeah
Token Ring
Views: 2,124
Message 7 of 18

I also do have Thinkplus warranty with next day onsite service, but the last technician they sent out to install the WWAN card for me actually managed to wire my WWAN card to the antennas wrong. He wired the blue cable to MAIN and red to AUX. I kind of lost my faith in the onsite service. I'm an electrical engineer myself, but I just never thought I had to deal with these problems, since Lenovo or IBM Thinkpads were known to be quite reliable.

Also, I called in to Lenovo techsupport at Atlanta. The tech support person said he will check and get back to me the next day (this was on Tuesday), but he never called back on Wednesday. I tried calling in Thursday and Friday to reach the same person, but he was not available. Apparently he doesn't work on Thursdays or Fridays, but he should have at least called back on Wednesday. I'm planning to call in again on Monday, to see if I can reach the same person.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,106
Message 8 of 18

Regarding temperatures, my CPU range according to cpuid is 101F at idle, to 183F running the prime95 torture test.  This is running on AC power.  Looking at the data you posted, your idle temps seem high.  I would recommend the following things (in this order) to try to get that lower:

1.  use task manager to identify any background processes that are using CPU cycles while the system is idle.  CPU usage at idle should be 0%

2.  make sure you are using the latest BIOS

3.  use the "advanced" mode of power manager to experiment with different power plans and system settings until you find one that meets your requirements.

As for the WWAN issue, go to Access Connections and edit the WWAN profile.  In the tab for mobile broadband settings, make sure the option about turning the radio off while disconnected is checked.

jyeah
Token Ring
Views: 2,095
Message 9 of 18

1. CPU usage at idle is 0%.

2. BIOS was updated to 1.34.

3. Well, right now the mode of power manager is set to balanced. And I already tweaked the CPU idle settings and turned FAN Always on.

So what should I do next?

As for WWAN, the option is definitely checked, but still the same. What's wrong?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,073
Message 10 of 18

I'm sorry I don't have any other tips for you about the temperature issue.  While your temps are higher than I see here, they are still well within normal range and you aren't experiencing any issues such as thermal shutdown.

As for WWAN, I did finally reproduce what you are seeing but only when I boot from power off state.  The WWAN LED comes on until I get to the windows logon screen, then it goes off shortly after.  I'm not sure if this is a case where the WWAN device is actually on, or if the LED is simply out of sync until the necessary drivers load.  During reboots the LED stays off.  In any case I don't have any other tips about this issue.  Sorry.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors