cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CAXDEC2110
Punch Card
Views: 575
Message 1 of 3

X201T: Tapping into Displayport w/o Ultrabase?

If i could hack a Displayport cable and find out the pin-outs for Displayport on the x201t do you think it'd be possible to directly connect to a monitor via this ($20) DP cable instead of using the ($200) Ultrabase?

I'm about to order the x201 and it cheeses me that I have to buy an Ultrabase if i want a quality video output (non-vga, non-usb2dvi).

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 553
Message 2 of 3

Re: X201T: Tapping into Displayport w/o Ultrabase?

welcome to the forum!

the connection for displayport is routed to the ultrabase socket on the base of the system.   this is a proprietary connection and doesn't have a cable that would plug directly into it, especially for around $20.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad P40 · 600

CAXDEC2110
Punch Card
Views: 549
Message 3 of 3

Re: X201T: Tapping into Displayport w/o Ultrabase?

I had a look at the bottom of my T500 and saw it's just like on the X201t. There's a port for the docking station with a flappy door. Opening this mouth reveals the metallic teeth that bite onto the Ultrabase. As I'm not an electronics person, I'm just speculating. If I knew which pins did what, and I had the right tools and patience and a friend with electronics background, I could possibly make my own straight-thru adapter that would allow a DP cable to jack into it. Of course it may not be a simple connection like that. There may need to be other preliminary mechanical or electrical contacts to happen before DP is enabled.

I imagine the desired doohickey would be like an expressport card that would slide into this ultrabase slot with a DP lead out. Might be tricky to design a form factor that would not make the X201t wobble too much as it may be thicker than the computer's rubber feet are high. There must be a market for a la carte connectors to this ultrabase port. Not everyone wants all of those ultrabase connections, nor the hugeness of the unit to carry around, nor the expense. A small cheap card might be more appropriate for those who want just one of those ports.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals