Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JanJonck
Paper Tape
Views: 530
Message 11 of 17

Re: X220 Tablet Internet Tablet Mode Problem

Hello   I have the same problem with my X220 tablet. According to the website of Jesse Anderson the culprit is the

Centrino Avcanced network card. I installed the latest driver from Intel, but the problem is not solved.

What now??

Mibars
Punch Card
Views: 461
Message 12 of 17

I've bought an X220 Tablet recently and noticed similar behaviour: When some pages refuse to work usually all I need to do is to flip it back into laptop.

How to fix that? It basically makes Tablet mode pointless for many people if you cannot access network while using it.

achim19890
HDMI
Views: 437
Message 13 of 17

I have the same problem with my new X230T. I think it has to do with placing of the antennas in the display-module. So i think changing or updating any software won't be of any help. It's more or less a faulty design, i guess...

##############################################################
Using x230t (i5-3320M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 80GB mSata-SSD) and loving it!

"I may not own the world but I own my mind and therefore the world is at my feets." (me)
Mibars
Punch Card
Views: 433
Message 14 of 17

Where are the anntennas then and is it possible to get to them without voiding warranty? Maybe some hardware" hack" will fix that?

achim19890
HDMI
Views: 427
Message 15 of 17

I haven't had a look in the hardware manual yet but in the older systems they were situated left or right of the display. And short look at my X230T tells me that to pry that display module open to get to the antennas will definitely do some damage to the case.

But you should take a look at the manual. It could easily be that the antennas are in the main body. But even so the display would shield them in tablet mode.

"I may not own the world but I own my mind and therefore the world is at my feets." (me)
achim19890
HDMI
Views: 418
Message 16 of 17

I took a quick look in the hardware maintenance manual and it looks like the antennas are in the upper part of the module but slightly behind the display. (There is also a description how to lay your hands on them if you want to give it try. But it doesn't looks that easy so if can avoid than do so.)

Based on the position of the antennas they will get shielded quite a bit if you use the tablet mode because they are trapped between your display and your palm wrest. Both of them are full of small electric currents which are accompanied by small electrical fields. these will interfere with the reception of your wifi signal (they will attenuate it). 

But this only my humble opinion as a going-to-be-engineer for communication technologies.

bladebarrier
Token Ring
Views: 412
Message 17 of 17

Just to second what achin19890 said:

Yep, the antennas extend to the top of the monitor. You can see the part where they extend out. I don't know that I would call it a design flaw, so much as a limitation of not wanting to have a massive antenna that would swing out while in tablet mode (a USB option for all of $20 would do that for you).

The X220T has superb reception in general (I'm on the tri-antenna version of the screen/card), so when you go into tablet mode and effectively start to add more electronics in the way of the antenna you're basically getting a signal closer to what a typical tablet might get, though likely still better.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors