cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TroyBenedict
Paper Tape
Views: 2,098
Message 1 of 9

X220 Tablet and Windows 8.1 - Limited Touch drops with Intel HD 3000 is installed?

I have installed Windows 8.1 Professional on on a Lenovo X220 Tablet and everything seems to have installed correctly, although my system, which supported limited touch with 2 touch points in Windows 7, only has Pen Support in 8.1.

I have been able to get the system to be recognized as "Pen and Limited Touch Support with 2 Touch Points" but only if I disable/unintall the Intel HD 3000 driver, and use Microsoft Basic Display Adapter instead.  The problem is that the resolution isn't as crisp.  

Any recommendations as to what I can do to get the limted touch to be recognized with the Intel HD 3000 driver?  This one is baffling.  

Any help would be appreciated. 

The X220 Tablet's type is 4296-2WU

Also, the Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver is the latest version compatible with 8.1 64bit - 9.17.10.3517.

Update: I have also tried the previous Intel driver release, 9.17.10.3347, as well as the recommend Intel driver from the support page 9.17.10.2843 and non of them allow my screen to do Limited Touch Support with 2 Touch Points.  Yet, if I disable the Intel driver, and restart, I can.  

Former Administrator
Views: 1,981
Message 2 of 9

Re: X220 Tablet and Windows 8.1 - Limited Touch drops with Intel HD 3000 is installed?

Troy,

Thanks for sharing your expeirences and the details of the driver version.

Officially, I don't think Lenovo provided full support for Win 8 on the X220, but as you note it (and the upgrade to 8.1) can work with some limitations.   I'll check with one of our software engineers to see if he may have some suggestions on this one.

I expect you will probably draw some responses from the community as the X220 was a very popular system with a good following.

Best regards,

Mark

TroyBenedict
Paper Tape
Views: 1,937
Message 3 of 9

Re: X220 Tablet and Windows 8.1 - Limited Touch drops with Intel HD 3000 is installed?

Thanks, Mark.  It would be great if we could figure out a way to get the touch and pen to work on these X220s.  They're great systems and are still all under full warranty until next year - so financially it doesn't make sense to replace them with brand new Windows 8.1 tablets.

Even if we get the standard windows display driver's resolution to bump up a bit, and not try and autodetect and reinstall the Intel drivers, that might be a step in the right direction.

Thanks for your help.

TroyBenedict
Paper Tape
Views: 1,880
Message 4 of 9

So, I'm still trying to figure out this problem and noticed two Errors in the Event Viewer that are interesting:

The error is:

"Touch driver blocked due to failed logo requirement."

Log Name: System

Source: Win32k (Win32k)

Event ID: 266

Level: Error

Is there a way to somehow prevent the touch driver(s) from being blocked?  

-- Troy

TroyBenedict
Paper Tape
Views: 1,767
Message 5 of 9

It's been 2 months since any activity in his thread.  Just curious if a fix or workaround has been discovered.

phlp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,671
Message 6 of 9

Hi,

I just got a lenovo x220t and had the same problem as you with win 8.1

After nearly a day of troubleshooting and re-formatting, I figured out how to get it working.

When you install 8.1, make sure that windows updates doesn't install any hardware drivers for the x220t.

Install all the win 8.1 support drivers from the lenovo website instead.  

From what I can tell, the driver in windows update that upsets and disables touch is the 'Lenovo - LCD, Other hardware - Wide  viewing angle & High density FlexView..' driver.

phlp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,665
Message 7 of 9

Actually... after installing non-hardware drivers, the touch went away again. I just uninstalled the intel hd3000 driver, then windows automatically re-installed it again and it seems to be working again..

phlp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,662
Message 8 of 9

Ok. Every time i restart, the touch gets disabled. The only way to get around it is to uninstall intel 3000hd every time. Worst.
Highlighted
phlp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,646
Message 9 of 9

So the only way i can work around this is by uninstalling the intel 3000hd driver if I have to restart the computer or switch it off...  That way when I boot up, it loads the basic driver with touch and then automatically installs the intel 3000 hd driver recognising it as touch.

Surely it musn't be a difficult fix for Lenovo if I can get it some what working this way?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors