cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sunnyjj09
Paper Tape
Views: 2,931
Message 1 of 8

X220 tablet - sound suddenly stopped working from speakers and headphone (but not bluetooth)

X220 tablet (about 2.5 yrs old, out of warranty) was working completely fine last night; this morning, no sound is coming from the laptop, either through speakers or through headphones (audio jack).  I am, however, able to get sound through a bluetooth-connected speaker.

I had hoped this was a software issue.  Tried uninstalling/installing all sound devices, updating BIOS, updating drivers, system restore to previous date, rebooting a million times, etc.  No joy.

When I run the sound troubleshooter, it says that no speaker, headset, or headphone appears to be plugged in.  The sound icon has a little red circle/white X next to it.  When I try to plug in headphones, nothing happens -- does not seem to detect the event.  When I press the mute and volume buttons on the tablet, no response.

Also, under Device Manager -> Sound, video and game controllers, it lists only "Bluetooth Hands-free Audio" and "Intel Display Audio".  I don't think either of these is the normal X220 audio driver, is it?  What else should be there?  I downloaded the Conexant Audio Software from Lenovo's site (this is what came up when I searched for audio drivers for the X220 tablet), and tried to install it, but halfway through, it said the install failed because it couldn't locate the device for the driver.

This sounds like it's a hardware problem -- any way to verify?  Also, which piece of hardware exactly?  Is it the sound card (that's presumably integrated into the motherboard --> no easy fix)?  I'm guessing it's not the speakers themselves since the headphone jack is also affected, but what is my best line of testing at this point to confirm that?  If it IS the sound card, any suggestions on the best fix?

Many thanks in advance!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,906
Message 2 of 8

Re: X220 tablet - sound suddenly stopped working from speakers and headphone (but not bluetooth)

If it doesn't appear in the device manager, it sounds to me like the sound chip (codec) or some support chip has died. I'm not sure how exact you want the answer to be. I think on that model, the codec is a Conexant 20672. If I am correct, the normal fix is to replace the motherboard. Many x220 machines are still under warranty. If yours is, now would be a good time to use it. You can check here:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-service/warranty-status/default.page?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
sunnyjj09
Paper Tape
Views: 2,902
Message 3 of 8

Re: X220 tablet - sound suddenly stopped working from speakers and headphone (but not bluetooth)

Thanks, richk, that's what I was afraid of.

We're no longer under warranty (only had 1 year), so short of replacing the motherboard, there probably isn't a fix that will allow us to use the internal speakers, correct?  I know we can get external speakers and/or USB card that supports headphones, but was hoping there would be some way to restore the internal sound...

sunnyjj09
Paper Tape
Views: 2,895
Message 4 of 8

I was wrong - I did upgrade to a 3 yr warranty (had forgotten about this) so hopefully it's covered!

Thanks for having me double check!

andreigeorgescu
What's DOS?
Views: 2,134
Message 5 of 8

Hello ,

Same thing happened to me so.... can you tell me how you fixed it...?

sunnyjj09
Paper Tape
Views: 2,128
Message 6 of 8

It was fixed by Lenovo under warranty...

andreigeorgescu
What's DOS?
Views: 2,122
Message 7 of 8

they had to replace your motherboard or it was an easier fix 

sunnyjj09
Paper Tape
Views: 2,111
Message 8 of 8

Not sure, to be honest, but from the research I had done beforehand, I suspect they had to replace the motherboard, sorry.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors