Albany, NY

85 Signins

687 Page Views

• Views: 687
  • Message 1 of 6

X220T Wifi performance horrendous!

2012-09-12, 15:29 PM

Hi everyone,

I've owned my X220t for a year now and the past two months I've noticed such terrible Wi-Fi performance that I can barely use the computer without a wired connection.

I've since purchasing gone off to medical school and am running into issue after issue with my unit! I have the screen bleed in and bright spot issue (which I think has been recalled?), The palmrest has cracked down the center from my palms "resting" on the thing. The little plastic tabs that hold the hinge in place along the side have all fallen out, the hinge doesn't quite sit right, the Bluetooth hasn't worked since I got it and for being a Core-i7 machine with 16gb of ram, it doesn't fly quite as fast as I'd have hoped. BUT I can deal with all of those situations because for the most part it tends to just work like I need it and right now I can't be a day without my laptop. Some day I'll get the screen and bt fixed (I have an extended warranty) but the Wi-Fi is driving me crazy! I can't do half of my work without the internet and it is as slow as a dialup, let me rephrase more like a 2000 baud connection! I have my Galaxy S3 cell phone next to my computer on the same network and speedtest tells me 25-35mbps while my thinkpad gets 300k-700k if I'm lucky!

Now, I know I have Intel Wifi Link 1000 which (had I known at purchase) I would have never bought, but I just chose Thinkpad Wi-Fi because it didn't mention it was a 1000. I've tweaked all the settings I could, and I disabled Wireless-N which works for an hour or so before slowing back down again. I don't know what to do, I'm about to buy a Intel 6205 card in the hopes that it fixes my issue, but it's unacceptable how terrible the wifi on this computer is. Does anyone have ANY clue as to what I can do to fix this? should I take the card out and put it back in? I'm open for any idea.

Options

89 Posts

02-14-2012

US

164 Signins

1797 Page Views

• Views: 1797
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: X220T Wifi performance horrendous!

2012-09-14, 6:36 AM

Something isn't right.

I would request an RMA for correction.

The X220t that I have is easily the best wifi laptop tablet I've seen. I get signals that are so far away my cellphones and other laptops don't even show them on the map. I've tested it with a droid X, lumia 710, multiple laptops, iphone, and nokia e5. The x220t card I have in there is just absurdly good.

NOW, understand, if it's in tablet rotation, you do hamper the reception. It's still pretty good, but you're basically shoving the antenna into the body of electronics. You could use an external USB wifi adapter that has an external antenna to counter this, when needed. They cost about $25 for one that works quite well.

I'm using the 3-antenna Intel version (no webcam), and it's easily better than every macbookpro user I see on campus, and it just devours signals.

I'm assuming you made sure to put the power saving mode of the wifi to "maximum performance"? The Lenovo power manager is handy if you want simple, but if you want speed, remove it completely and set up the power mode so that it doesn't throttle the wifi.

Beyond that, something is physically wrong, and you need to get it fixed. I can't find a laptop that can compete with my signal yet. Speeds, maybe, but not strength.

It's possible that the antenna leads aren't connected properly, or the card needs to be replaced. If you have the tri-antenna version, and tri-antenna card, there shouldn't be anyone else on campus getting a better wifi signal on their laptop.

Options

89 Posts

02-14-2012

US

164 Signins

1797 Page Views

• Views: 1797
  • Message 3 of 6

2012-09-14, 6:47 AM
// Actually, now that I re-read your post, I'd almost suggest a virus, or physical damage, or user error.

I7, 16gb ram, but broken physically. Disabled wireless-n on purpose. 2000 baud (meaning 2400 I guess). Do you have a backup? Lenovo replaced my screen, from me shipping it out, to getting it back, in 3 days (start to finish, including the weekend). Doctors used pen and paper before they had laptops, and I'd bet the campus has access to shared drives (plus thumb drives). You need it serviced, but I think a calculator, a pen, and some paper could work for that amount of time. Just make sure to do a full backup prior (which you should be doing weekly anyways).

Use microsoft onenote to backup your data to a desktop or alternate campus drive. If you have questions, ask one of the engineering students to help you sort out a method. You can probably borrow a 64gb thumb drive in the mean time.
Options

84 Posts

09-23-2011

Albany, NY

85 Signins

687 Page Views

• Views: 687
  • Message 4 of 6

2012-11-07, 18:44 PM
hi! thanks for the reply! I never got a notification that you responded. I appreciate it!

I think there is a problem with windows. I started using Ubuntu again and the bluetooth and wifi were perfect. My harddrive failed and I had to start fresh so i went ahead and got the windows 8 upgrade and a clean m-sata 128gb and momentus thin 500gb hdd.

Here's my main issues as of this moment and maybe you can give me some insight (I'm pretty good with tech stuff, I used to write apps and what not but i still get baffled by this)

The bluetooth doesn't work properly. I updated the bios and when it works it works REALLY good. BUT as soon as I start moving my computer around, I get a notification saying the "USB device is not recognized" the bluetooth is wired up via internal bluetooth and as soon as I get that message my connection drops and windows completely removes any trace of bt existing. Restarting my computer sometimes fixes the problem, but it just randomly comes back. This leads me to believe that it must be loose inside no?

As for the Wi-Fi, the latest drivers for windows 8 definitely fixed that. I get speeds that are respectable and appropriate. Performance from the i7 is back up to snuff. Leads me to assume the clean install fixed most of the problems, save for the bluetooth obviously.

I do need to get my screen fixed, windows 8 has a lot more static images (thick bars and the like) and any gray background brings out the ghosting and while I've totally gotten used to the bright spot, I still shouldn't have to deal with it.

Hopefully lenovo cooperates with my extended warranty!

Thanks!
Options

2640 Posts

03-21-2012

Malaysia

2405 Signins

55976 Page Views

• Views: 55976
  • Message 5 of 6

2013-09-12, 3:30 AM
Hi all,

thanks for posting. Sorry for the late intrusion. To those of you facing an issues with the wireless,could you possibly try the to download the drivers below. Our Teams had just released a new driver on the 6th of September that address a number of WiFi issue. This drivers are for those with the these type of adapters.

This package installs the software (Wireless LAN driver and utility) to enable the following devices.

Intel(R) Centrino(R)Wireless-N 2200
Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205
Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235
Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6250 AGN
Intel(R) WiFi Link 6300 AGN
Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260
Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260

The Drivers can be downloaded from the Link below :

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS036007

Hope this helps.

Regards
Options

20986 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 6 of 6

2013-09-13, 11:26 AM
download something like SSIDer and see whether you are getting congestion within the 2.4 ghz channel and strength of the signal.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete