Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mshafe01
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,254
Message 1 of 5

X230 Tablet Black Screen Won't Wake

I purchased a new X230 tablet in August 2013.  I'm running Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, Office 2010 Pro, and all updates, Microsoft and Lenovo have been applied.  I have, or at least I believe I have, shut off the option of the screen dimming or the machine sleeping in battery mode and while plugged in.  I've noticed this since I first purchased the unit but haven't used it in tablet mode enough to worry about searching out a solution until now.

My problem is when put into tablet mode, typically running OneNote, but I've also seen it occur with just the default windows screen up, after a few minutes of inactivity, the screen goes black and I've not been able to wake it back up and am forced to perform a hard shut down.

I sure hope there is an easy fix for this.

mshafe01
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,229
Message 2 of 5

Re: X230 Tablet Black Screen Won't Wake Up

Oh, and I have the Gorilla glass outdoor screen model and all power management functions in the Bios are shut off.

Please help, as right now tablet mode is essentially worthless as the black screen now is appearing right in the middle of writing with the stylus.  After a couple hard shut downs, the Synaptics drivers appear to be blown away and the NavPoint stops working and must have the drivers reinstalled.  Please help.....I'm missing my tablet functionality!!!  Please help.

TableRocked
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,657
Message 3 of 5

Update - performed a complete reimage using the newest disks from Lenovo and while my finger print scanner now works just fine, closing the lid and reopening it doesn't put the system to sleep, rotating the screen and closing the lid (thus leaving the screen face up for writing on), puts the system into a state where the screen in completely black and will not wake up or respond even if put back into normal laptop mode.  It doesn't respond to the stylus being returned to the port or attempts to "write" on the blacken screen.  Only a hard shut down and power back on causes the system to work again normally.

As long as I don't fold the screen completely flat, I can write on the screen with the stylus without any issue.  I'm at the point where I'm tempted to try to go in and remove whatever sensor or switch tells the laptop its lid is closed hoping I can get this thing to work as it was advertised.  Does anyone from Lenovo read these forums?

I've triple-checked every setting I can find having to do with sleep modes and how the machine should behave when the lid is closed.  "do nothing" is checked.

I am running Windows Ultimate 64 bit, have owned the system since new, has Gorilla glass, is a model 3434 CTO.

TableRocked
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,651
Message 4 of 5

Not that anyone from Lenovo is reading these, and the only support I get by calling in, they tell me I have to ship my laptop to them and it may take a few weeks to get it back (I use this thing for my business everyday).

Update:  tonight I tried something different and it worked.

I put the system in tablet mode while the system was off and then hit the power on button.  Like magic, it functioned in tablet mode perfectly.  I was even able to utilize the personalize handwriting feature to help train the handwriting recognition software.  I changed hands holding it in tablet mode and the screen autorotated perfectly.  Finally, my system could be used how it was intended.  I was then able to rotate the screen into "laptop" mode and everything worked perfectly still.

Pushing my luck, I tried to rotate the screen back to tablet mode to again begin writing only to have the black screen appear again.  Now when I say black, its really not completely black as it appears the backlight is still somewhat shining through the completely blacked out screen.  Another hard shutdown later and I'm back to where I was at the beginning of this posting.

Please help!!!!  This is obviously a Lenovo software issue.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,634
Message 5 of 5

This is not a software problem. There is not much the community can do for you. You would need warranty service on the machine.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors