cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Speedbird186
Fanfold Paper
Views: 511
Message 1 of 2

X230 Tablet USB 3 performs at USB 2 speeds (Windows 8)

Hello,

First, yes, I realize Windows 8 is not generally available yet, however, a solution may already exist considering the imminent release.

I have a X230 Tablet with Windows 8 Enterprise. The 2 USB 3 ports are working, but only at USB 2 speeds (same transfer rates when hooking up a USB 3 device to either of those ports as I get hooking up to the AlwaysOn port on the other side (more or less 25 MB/sec).

I never had Windows 7 on this tablet, so I don't have a comparison. However, on a X201 Tablet with a PCIExpress USB 3 add-in card I get transfer speeds of at least 100 MB/sec, which is about as close as you can get I think.

Windows 8's (Microsoft's) USB 3 xHCI driver is installed (version 6.2.9200.16420).

Are there better drivers available? Am I missing a setting somewhere (in the BIOS perhaps)?

Thanks for any assistance,

SA.

Speedbird186
Fanfold Paper
Views: 486
Message 2 of 2

Re: X230 Tablet USB 3 performs at USB 2 speeds (Windows 8)

I thought I already had checked the most obvious UEFI settings, but I guess not. In the USB category, there is a USB 3 option which was set to Auto. Based on the description, that looks like a good setting. However, I changed it to enabled, and now I have transferred rates of about 75 MB/sec. Still not as good as possible with some other controllers, but hopefully some better drivers are forthcoming.

SA.