Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jknupp
Paper Tape
Views: 1,461
Message 1 of 4

X230 Win8 screen multitouch and swipe issues

I have an X230 that I just upgraded to Win 8.1 (new disk, fresh Win8.1 install).  Win8.1 was installed as soon as I got it so I'm not sure how things worked in Win7.

Multitouch doesn't seem to work at all.  The multitest app shows 1 point, there's no touch tab in the control panel Pen and Touch settings, when I tried installing the Win7 enhanced multitouch driver it says there's not tablet installed.  I have a 353422U which is supposed to have multitouch.  Am I just missing a driver somewhere or is this a hardware issue?

I started looking at the multitouch issue because screen edge swipes don't work.  The screen seems to be emulating a mouse instead of touch  (mouse arrow cursor is always on while my other tablet doesn't have the mouse cursor).  Is there another way to get screen swipes working if the screen is emulating a mouse?

jknupp
Paper Tape
Views: 1,452
Message 2 of 4

Re: X230 Win8 screen multitouch and swipe issues

I put my Win7 disk back in to test and I do have multitouch in Win7.  The Pen and Touch control panel settings also show the Touch tab, which isn't show in Win8.1.  So obviously it's a driver issue.

Are there any drivers available that will enable multi-touch on my touch screen?  I tried installing the Win7 drivers in Win8.1 (in compatibility mode) but the setup program says "no compatible tables are installed".

John K

jknupp
Paper Tape
Views: 1,391
Message 3 of 4

Re: X230 Win8 screen multitouch and swipe issues

So I mirrored my Win7 disk to my SSD and touch works fine.  Upgrade to Win8.1 and no more touch (no touch options in control panel and screen sems to only work as lame mouse emulation).  The Wacom drivers say there's no touch tablet installed when obviously there is since it worked in Win7.  I'm not even sure where to complain now.

jknupp
Paper Tape
Views: 1,331
Message 4 of 4

Re: X230 Win8 screen multitouch and swipe issues - FIX

If anyone is interested I found a fix to the missing touch issues in this Microsoft forum post:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-tms/windows-81-touch-screen-not-working/...

It looks like Windows 8.1 doesn't like the Wacom driver signing.  If you open a command prompt as administrator and run these two command Windows skips testing the driver and just loads it:

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

The down side is that on the desktop (not metro screen) Windows puts a message in the lower right saying it's in test mode.  But the good thing is that in PC Info for Pen and Touch it says: Pen and full Windows touch support with 2 touch points.  Excellent - love this tablet even more now!

Now to get Wacom to fix/update their drivers.

John K