Did you mean: 
notelet
Paper Tape
Views: 1,638
Message 1 of 6

X230 tablet prospective buyer

hello to all,

my first post,

I hope I'm not asking to much!  I want to make sure that the X230t fits my requirements.  First & foremost, does the X230 t measure 12" X 9" X 1.23" with or without battery installed? (so that it fits in my hard shell case)

Secondly, when using the X230t to read a pdf doc, can you increase the size of text by using two finders on display and spreading fingers apart?   And can you move the pdf page by moving one finger on display? (if only portion of page is displayed)

Can you have a pdf doc opened on half of display, while taking notes with digy pen on other half of the display?

Can the digypen be used with word and excel?

thanks,

and have a great day

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,630
Message 2 of 6

Re: X230 tablet prospective buyer

1. the measurement you have is with the 3 cells battery fitted, it is not the measurement for the X230 with 6 cells battery fitted. The 6 cells battery will add another 1 inch to the measurement of 9 inch.

2. Yes, you can zoom by pinch. The movement of page with one finger depends on type of pdf software you use.

3. Yes you can write on the screen whilst having a pdf doc opened on half of the screen.

4. Yes, you can with a digitiser pen in both the Excel and Word.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lead_org/10037681356/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lead_org/10037657335/
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
notelet
Paper Tape
Views: 1,616
Message 3 of 6

hi lead_org,

How long have you been using the X230t and how would you rate its over-all rugedness/durability?

JJ

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,557
Message 4 of 6

i have had every X series Tablet, and the current X230t (which i have three) have been in service since the end of last year. I also have the X220t, which is very similar to the X230t (other than some minor feature updates).

I like the X230t for the following reason:

1. Removable battery (you can choose 3 cells or 6 cells main, and 6 cells slice).

2. Super battery life.

3. Upgradeability, it has a mSATA slot,7 mm 2.5 inch hdd slot, 2 x DIMM ram slots (for up to 16 gigs of ram).

4. Docking ability -> Ultrabase Series 3 dock, additional hdd in the ultrabay slot. Or you can use the Series 3 mini dock.

5. ExpressCard slot for possible vidock and eGPU.

What i don't like about the X230t,

1. Resolution of the LCD.

2. No ten point touch display

3. Keyboard is not as good as the X220

4. Can't use my old X220 battery in the X230 due to security feature.

5. No real Windows 8 support due to having only 2 touch.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Spot
Serial Port
Views: 1,503
Message 5 of 6

The ruggedness is an ambiguous thing. The X230T is rugged concerning bumps, but it has some very sensitive spots which almost certainly get damaged during normal use. First thing is the display: In many cases it shows bright pressure spots. These do not really disturb normal working, but show a lack of quality. The other things are some parts which are likely to break, for example the palm rest or the rubber-thing which holds the display in place when it lies flat on the keyboard. And you should avoid pressure on the device when it is closed because the keyboard leaves scratches on the screen.

notelet
Paper Tape
Views: 1,468
Message 6 of 6

hello,

Thanks to all who responded to my post....indeed they were helpfull.  I placed order for computer and plan on using it for work and off work tasks,

tally ho

Top Kudoed Authors