Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidenko
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,694
Message 1 of 7

X230T Screen flickering/lines problem

Hi all,

I've been really satisfied with my X230T, and It has accompanied me on a round the world adventure and it's been through quite a bit and we've bonded pretty well. Smiley Happy

Problem Description

It's still functioning fine however the left 1/5th section of the screen has begun to uncontrollably flicker in a variety of colors and sometimes just goes completely dark. This issue unfortunately came up about two months after my warranty expired when I was in the middle of China traveling. 

Here are a few pictures of the flickering/lines of color that come up.

Flickering/Lines

Link to image 1

Flickering full screen

Link to image 2

Problem Isolation

Seeing as the problem fluctuates and worsens/gets better depending on screen position and movement, I'm 99.9% it's a hardware problem. After taking apart the laptop and playing around with connectors I'm pretty sure it's the LCD cable (FRU 04W1775), which I've ordered a $10 replacement from eBay. 

Problem Port/Cable

Link to image 3

Normal problem condition

Link to image 4

Applying light pressure/tilting the screen at a different angle

Link to image 5

I was wondering if anyone else has run into similar problems and whether they had a different solution or if the problem was more related to the LCD panel/LCD cable port. I do not fancy the notion of replacing the LCD Panel as it essentially costs as much as buying a new laptop. I like this one quite a bit and although Lenovo's new lineup is tempting I'd like to see this baby through a couple more years of service before I eventually upgrade.

Any pointers/tips would be greatly appreciated. 

Moderator note: images totalling more than 50k converted to links per forum rules:  Lenovo Community Participation Rules

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,636
Message 2 of 7

Re: X230T Screen flickering/lines problem

I believe it is not the cable. When the screen is assembled, the logic circuits connect to the rows and columns of LCDs (row and column drivers) with a contact tape that has one contact per line of pixels. Your tape has delaminated along the bottom. I have never been successful in fixing this problem on any screen.  Pressure along the tape makes temporary contact.  You probably need a new screen. You are certainly welcome to change the cable, since you bought one, although it is a pain to get the wires run correctly.  I have a couple of screens here and I have been buying tablets having bad screens on eBay, so if you decide you want to sell yours for a down payment on a new one, send me a pm.  Sorry

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
davidenko
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,625
Message 3 of 7

I hope it's not that, guess I'll see when I get the cable and experiment with it. If not I'll probably source a cheap replacement panel from Shenzhen, China. Hopefully it will have a digitizer otherwise this laptop's sole novelty of touch/pen input over the plain X230 will be invalidated. I'll send you a PM if I'm selling it. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,612
Message 4 of 7

The cheap ones don't have the rear digitizer and also the front one if you have finger-touch. I have found it impossible to move either successfully.    BTW, if it were a cable problem, the whole screen would be affected.  The connectors in the cable to not correspond to location on the screen.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

davidenko
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,377
Message 5 of 7

Hi RichHK,

The screen is going to crap completely now, would you still be interested in buying the panel?
I'm not sure how to send a PM on these forums, would you want me to make an ebay listing?

Dave

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,364
Message 6 of 7

I would still be interested in buying the machine. To send a pm, click on my ID, and on the next screen, there is a link (upper right under contact) to send a pm

Rich

sws
Paper Tape
Views: 389
Message 7 of 7

I had a related symptom with an x230: flashing horizontal lines that appear to roll up a section of the screen. Pressing gently on the bottom of the screen didn't help, but moving it back and forth vigorously to adjust its angle to the keyboard sometimes made the symptom disappear for a while. When the computer was connected to an external monitor, the symptom did not affect that display--suggesting that the issue is either in the LCD or its cabling rather than the graphics chip.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors