Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
hp79
HDMI
Views: 2,704
Message 1 of 6

X230T - Standing on three legs instead of four. Wobbling base. This is a defect.

I know this issue was first posted by XThinkpadUser, and the thread has been closed by the mod with a blurry conclusion.

I had the same problem along with many other problems, so I returned my first machine, then ordered a new one.

During the re-ordering, I forgot to uprade the wifi card so I called immediately and canceled the order, got an email confirmation, and then reordered. Even with the cancelation confirmation email, Lenovo still went ahead and built the machines and shipped it out to me.

I got both machines and first I opened one with intel wifi 6205. It was wobbling standing on three legs only when lid was opened about 120 degree. What a dissapointment, but at least it didn't have any other problems like warped lid, or some messy stuff under the screen right above the hinge.

Then I tried the second one that has the basic lenovo wifi card, to my surprise, this was completely sitting flat!

I even tried swapping the batteries (both has 6 cell) of the two, and that didn't have any effect. The stable one was stable no matter what.

My conclusion is that the 3 feet standing problem is a real problem plagued on X230Ts, unlike what lenovo wants you to think. If you use a 3 cell battery though, you probably won't notice this problem. 2 of 3 machines I touched had this problem, so maybe that's why Lenovo don't want to address this properly ($$$).

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,675
Message 2 of 6

Re: X230T - Standing on three legs instead of four. Wobbling base. This is a defect.

are they shipped out from the same Wistron factory?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
hp79
HDMI
Views: 2,673
Message 3 of 6

Re: X230T - Standing on three legs instead of four. Wobbling base. This is a defect.

I have already returned the other one so I can't confirm where that one came from. I can confirm that the one that is good which stands on all four legs correctly says it's shipped out from Wistron factory. The only difference on these two are the wifi cards. Shipped out the same day, came through same route (China-Japan-AK-KS-OR), and delivered at the same time so I think they are from the same place.
XThinkpadUser
Token Ring
Views: 2,559
Message 4 of 6

@hp79 wrote:

My conclusion is that the 3 feet standing problem is a real problem plagued on X230Ts, unlike what lenovo wants you to think.

I wish the Lenovo engineers agreed with you! They had me send my x230t to their headquarters and personally determined (apparently) that my computer didn't have a problem.

So either a PR, marketing, or legal department intervened and lied, or the engineers legitimately can't tell the difference between a wobbly and non-wobbly design. I'm not sure which one drains my confidence in Lenovo more. I've been using ThinkPads since 1997. What do they have to lose by being honest with me?

del_psi
Token Ring
Views: 2,522
Message 5 of 6

@XThinkpadUser wrote:

@hp79 wrote:

My conclusion is that the 3 feet standing problem is a real problem plagued on X230Ts, unlike what lenovo wants you to think.

I wish the Lenovo engineers agreed with you! They had me send my x230t to their headquarters and personally determined (apparently) that my computer didn't have a problem.

So either a PR, marketing, or legal department intervened and lied, or the engineers legitimately can't tell the difference between a wobbly and non-wobbly design. I'm not sure which one drains my confidence in Lenovo more. I've been using ThinkPads since 1997. What do they have to lose by being honest with me?

That's why it's good to switch brands sometimes. IBM laptops used to stand for quality AND used to be expensive. Now since they want more people to buy their products they had to discard some quality so that the price can be lower.

More lower quality laptops sold = more profit

If they admit there are faults with the product , they may have to issue a recall and lose lots of money.

Former Administrator
Views: 2,457
Message 6 of 6

Closing this thread.

This issue has been discussed multiple times, and rehashing the same points does not serve the community.

I've addressed the points of the design in the original thread, and while the design could be different, this is not viewed as a defect by engineering.  It cannot be addressed by swapping parts through service, nor by exchanging the system.

The forum rules state:

Extended debate with moderators or admins over their decisions with regard to moderation of posts is considered trolling. Do not subvert threads. No vendetta posts, or online campaigning. It is acceptable to state concern for how a particular Lenovo policy, performance, or procedure does or does not meet the expectation of a particular member, but it is not acceptable to use this forum in an attempt to broadly organize or incite members en mass, to cancel orders, return systems, undertake legal action or otherwise disrupt the normal business processes of Lenovo.

You made your points clearly in the original discussions that you have linked to, so restarting this topic on a new thread here falls under the clause of campaigning.   Let's move on to other topics.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Mark

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals