Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ferret141
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,820
Message 1 of 7

X230t F1 fuse value?

Brief history: Vertical artifacts on LCD. Checked if cables are seated behind LCD but forgot battery in. Backlight no longer worked.

I've opened up and tested all the fuses I could see for continuity. The only blown one I could find was F1. Does anyone know its value or typical LED backlight fuse ratings? I would rather replace it than short it.

The board is an 04Y2040 i7-3520M

Tested fuses and status: (✗=no continuity)(?=fuse not found)(✓=continuity)

F1 

F2 

F3 ?

F4 

F5 

F6 

F7 

F11 

F12 

F13 

F14 

F15 ?

F16 

F17 

F18 

F19 

F20 

F21 

F22 

F23 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,791
Message 2 of 7

Re: X230t F1 fuse value?

They are usually  3 amps, 32 volts.  Is there a letter stamped on the fuse?  They are normally made by Littelfuse and the letter is the key for determining the rating.  These are fast-burn and come in various sizes (based on length)

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ferret141
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,770
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for responding richk

It is marked with a P

20170703_151901PPP.jpg

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,751
Message 4 of 7

P is 3 amps.

They have changed the designations and use some collection of lines, dots, etc., rather than letters.

I have not bought them for a while.  The newer machines are less likely to blow them out.  In the U.S., I have gotten them from Mouser Electronics.  I am not sure about the physical size.  The T230 series might use types 434 or 435.  The last time I bought them, I got several and I may never need more.  There is a second fuse that often blows at the same time.  It is a 0.5 amp fuse ("F" designation).  It controls the little status LEDs on the screen (all except bluetooth).  If your status lights are also out, you may need that also.  It is often near the LCD connector.  See this:

http://www.littelfuse.com/products/fuses/surface-mount-fuses/thin-film-chip-fuses.aspx

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

ferret141
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,698
Message 5 of 7

Thanks again richk. I've managed to get an exact replacement.

Any recommendations for desoldering this? I can't get the solder to budge with my 30W iron.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,684
Message 6 of 7

solder the new fuse on the top of the old one

Rich

ferret141
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,674
Message 7 of 7

That's smart and obvious! I must have been thinking about component interference but the thing is tiny.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors