cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heKtor
Paper Tape
Views: 1,578
Message 1 of 7

X41 Tablet - HDD replaced by warranty: How to restore to factory state?

The X41 had a HDD replacement, they were unable to make recovery CDs.  So now it has no OS...nothing.

How can I restore it to factory state?

I used a local dealer via Lenovo Warranty service.

PS: It doesn't have an optical drive built-in.

Thanks!

thinkpadpro
Punch Card
Views: 1,563
Message 2 of 7

Re: X41 Tablet - HDD replaced by warranty: How to restore to factory state?

You will have to order factory restore discs and restore either via a usb flash drive or a external dvd drive. There is no executable that does that (if there were, it would be around 4 gigs in size)
X41T: Dead from a power surge during a BIOS Flash!
heKtor
Paper Tape
Views: 1,551
Message 3 of 7

I turned in my Tablet last week, while the warranty was still good.  The computer is now ready to be picked up, but the warranty also expired on 5/3/09.  Will Lenovo charge me for this?

Am I supposed to call Sales or Support?  The last time I called support, I was on hold for about 45 mins!

Thank you Smiley Happy

thinkpadpro
Punch Card
Views: 1,540
Message 4 of 7

If it was serviced within warranty date, then I think you will not be charged. Im not an employee, just a high school kid. I would call both sales and support to make sure that Im getting the same story. Two is better than one. As for the wait time, I would try calling again and see what happens. However factory discs are never free from IBM/Lenovo for some reason, even if it is in warranty. Thats why they had the backup partition installed. I know HP/Toshiba and others give them for free while your in warranty, but IBM did not for the X41 Tablet.
X41T: Dead from a power surge during a BIOS Flash!
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,526
Message 5 of 7

heKtor, welcome to the forum,

if the "call" was reported inside the warranty period, as you state, the repair should be carried out under the terms of the warranty and therefore not cost anything.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

heKtor
Paper Tape
Views: 1,491
Message 6 of 7

Lenovo wants to charge me $45 plus shipping, taxes, etc.

They claim they give the recovery CDs for free ONLY if you ship the machine to them for repair.

When I placed the "call" awhile back, they didn't create a case number for me.  All they said was that I could either ship it to them or use a business partner under the warranty.  It made more sense to me to drop it off locally.  A friendly rep yesterday with Lenovo support, told me he cuoldn't ship them because I didn't have a case number.  So I went to the local business partner and he gave me a "claim number".  Which was useless when I called tech support back--they all said they didn't need it.

I've spoken to Support, Entitlements, and Out of Warranty support, and the first thing they all say to me is "You know your machine is out of warranty now right?" As in, "what do you want from me?"

The last I was instructed was to go back to the local business partner and have them order the CD's for me.  Oh well, we'll see.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,479
Message 7 of 7

Your Warranty repair depot should also have a copy of the disks. 
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors