Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

107 Posts

01-15-2013

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2868 Signins

10555 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 10555
  • Message 1 of 3

X60 Digitizer Pen

2013-07-30, 15:40 PM

I have posted before about my recently acquired X60T having a gap all round between the screen and the bezel. This is making me very, very nervous about the use of the pen with Windows 8, because of the sharp glass edge that the pen needs to move across.

The pen that came with the machine has no Lenovo part number, but it seems to work well.

I ordered a cheap spare pen with spare nibs from ebay. It also has no part number, although the advert said

"IBM LENOVO ThinkPad X60 X61 X200 X201 W700 Tablet Digitizer STYLUS PEN 39T7481"

The pen shown in the advert has a grey piece at the rubber (as opposed to the nib) end, as does the pen that came with the tablet, but the ebay pen that came has a red rubber end. When I move this pen round on the screen, a spot moves under it, and it highlights things, but I cannot make it click anything. Similarly it won't draw in Paint like the older pen.

Is it faulty, or is it a different type of pen? I am trying a possible fix found elsewhere on the net, of removing the nib and lying it on its side for 24 hours.

What I really need to know id whether I need to replace the screen bezel or whether there is some magic gunge i can use to fill the gap.

Options

107 Posts

01-15-2013

2868 Signins

10555 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

Re: X60 Digitizer Pen

2013-08-01, 8:19 AM

wrote:

I I am trying a possible fix found elsewhere on the net, of removing the nib and lying it on its side for 24 hours.

What I really need to know id whether I need to replace the screen bezel or whether there is some magic gunge i can use to fill the gap.

Followup: Well, the magic voodoo of lying the new pen on its side with the nib removed, as expected, achieved nothing. The pen supplier hasn't yet replied, although it's early days, and thescreen bezel is still a problem.

An additional slightly odd problem is that the Windows 8 pen calibration utility seems to throw the pen calibration off rather than improve it. I am holding the pen vertical to do this. Do I have to accept that pen actions are flaky with an older machine like this and Win8.

The machine is otherwise extremely good for doing what I want - controlling a graphics intensive audio program - and seems far more suitable than my son's newish touch screen Acer Win8 converible device. 

Options

107 Posts

01-15-2013

2868 Signins

10555 Page Views

• Message 3 of 3

Re: X60 Digitizer Pen X61, X200, X201

2013-08-06, 18:09 PM

I'm afraid I'm still here.

I have some used bezels coming, so this may help solve the bezel problem.

I have been concentrating on the pens. I now have the one that came with the machine. This works in Win8, but is a bit erratic at the edges of the screen. It does not appear to be pressure sensitive.

I have purchased one from the East. It is detected by the tablet, but won't accept "click" inputs. They are sending me another pen.

I have just bought an official Lenovo pen, secondhand. It behaves differently again. I can draw from a distance away in One Note and in the Handwriting Recognition screen and the pen is obviously pressure sensitive, drawing a thicker line as I press on the screen, but it's impossible to use because of the ultra sensitive distantly written lines.

It doesn't seem to click, either.

Am I unlucky? Is there any test software I can load onto the machine to diagnose the pen/tablet? What drivers are worth trying to attempt to get this reliable?

I know this is an old machine, but all the technology seems to be in place.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms