Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SCSI Port
Message 1 of 16 (5,317 Views)

X60 Tablet users: Windows 8 upgrade experiences?

I have an X60 Tablet (6363-5BU) with Windows XP Tablet Edition SP3. 2GB of RAM and 250 GB HDD. I'm thinking about upgrading to Windows 8. There are plenty of anecdotes about Win 7 upgrades but not many Win 8 upgrades. It would be nice to find out what issues, pitfalls and workarounds have been discovered and gathering them all here on this thread...

--------
ThinkStation S10; ThinkPad 10; ThinkCentre 57e; X200 Tablet; T60 Tablet; T60 15" Widescreen; T60; T40; 701C; 3 x Apple Newton MP2100; 2 x HP 200LX
Paper Tape
Message 2 of 16 (5,103 Views)

Re: X60 Tablet users: Windows 8 upgrade experiences?

[ Edited ]

Works great Smiley Happy

It all worked perfectly right after install.

Im trying to get the buttons for quick screen change to work as they are unrespsonsive but to be honest I never used them much before. So they're not quiet the priority.

It is considerable faste rthan windows 7, I'm sure you will love it.

Moderator comment: Image(s) >50KB converted to link(s). Forum Rules.

SCSI Port
Message 3 of 16 (4,886 Views)

Oglon3r wrote:

Works great Smiley Happy

It all worked perfectly right after install.

Im trying to get the buttons for quick screen change to work as they are unrespsonsive but to be honest I never used them much before. So they're not quiet the priority.

It is considerable faste rthan windows 7, I'm sure you will love it.

Moderator comment: Image(s) >50KB converted to link(s). Forum Rules.

Thx for replying:  Apart from the buttons, did you have any problems with the fingerprint reader?  A pity about the buttons.  I use the change orientation button a lot, and I often put put the unit into standby mode from the onscreen menu button.

--------
ThinkStation S10; ThinkPad 10; ThinkCentre 57e; X200 Tablet; T60 Tablet; T60 15" Widescreen; T60; T40; 701C; 3 x Apple Newton MP2100; 2 x HP 200LX
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 16 (4,811 Views)

For my X60, after windows 8, I lost all of the thinkvantage tools. I can't even turn up my brightness. Finger print reader also does not work. Maybe it was because I chose to install without saving my "apps". Not exactly sure how to get all that back. It's fast though.
SCSI Port
Message 5 of 16 (4,630 Views)

Bit the bullet and did it this week.

• I had the DVD but because the X60 didn't have an optical drive, I needed to make a ISO file and create a bootable USB stick.
  • I used Nero to create the ISO file and Microsoft's Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool to create the bootable stick.
  • I used a stick with 8GB of free space.
  • The installation was a little confusing. It gave the option to preserve your apps and data. After choosing that option it returned with an error that it couldn't find the drivers necessary to complete the task. Restarting the installation and installing with a format of the drive solved the problem.  Otherwise the process was uneventful and relatively quick.
  • The X60's touchscreen wouldn't work until I installed the Wacom driver not the multi touch driver from Lenovo.
  • None of the X60's bezel controls work.
  • The fingerprint reader no longer works.
  • No obvious candidates from Lenovo driver site for X60 look suitable to fix the button and/or fingerprint reader issue. I wonder if the fingerprint reader manufacturer has released Windows 8. Anyone know who this was?
  • Display and WLAN functions worked straightaway; that allowed MS Office 2007 to be installed from a shared DVD drive. MS Office 2007 activated over the Internet without me needing to explain why it was being re-installed.
  • Sometimes the vertical scroll bar won't respond to the stylus.  Could be a lag.
  • Windows 8 is remarkably usable even though the touchscreen does not support multi touch.
  • ThinkPad System update only installed the two Windows 8 on Lenovo'sX60 driver site.
  • Think Vantage software I've tied such as Power Manager don't seem to work.
  • ThinkPad fan control works.
  • Having a lot of fun exploring the Metro UI. At first disconcertingly bare with no clues on what to do. Once one discovers the flicks from the edges of the screen then onwards and upwards from there. Searching is your friend.
  • Discovered OneNote on the Apps Store available as freeware. I'm really enjoying the new design. Can't wait to see the rest of Microsoft Office getting the Metro makeover.

Bottom line: If you don't mind the loss of hardware functionality then go ahead with the upgrade to Windows 8.  But if you do, and everything is working well on XP Tablet Edition, Vista or Windows 7 then don't do it.

--------
SCSI Port
Message 6 of 16 (4,624 Views)

I found a driver for the  fingerprint reader on ThinkPad x201t device driver page: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT063346.  Tested and it works.. Yay.

--------
SCSI Port
Message 7 of 16 (4,563 Views)

OK. I've managed to get the Navdial, Change Screen Orientation and Tablet shortcut menu buttons working. I installed the ThinkPad Tablet Button Driver and the ThinkPad Shortcut drivers for Windows 7 (32-bit). Although I was prepared to keep using the Tablet without these functions, I am so relieved that they are working again. The Tablet Shortcut Menu only works in the Desktop screen.

Now I only have to work out which driver activates the speaker volume buttons and the blue ThinkVantage button.

--------
SCSI Port
Message 8 of 16 (4,545 Views)

I hope my subsequent posts were helpful with getting your fingerprint reader going.

kmaxtor26 wrote:
For my X60, after windows 8, I lost all of the thinkvantage tools. I can't even turn up my brightness. Finger print reader also does not work. Maybe it was because I chose to install without saving my "apps". Not exactly sure how to get all that back. It's fast though.

--------
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 16 (3,976 Views)

I have upgraded my Lenovo x60 6365-CTO to Windows 8 Pro 32bit.  I installed Windows 7 32bit drivers for the tablet buttons and multitouch display and they are working.  I installed the Windows 7 fingerprint software, and it is working.  I had to install Active Protection system to get the active rotate feature to work.

My stylus works just fine except for the custom "flicks".  I can't get mt stylus to scroll up and down or for that matter any of the flicks to work.  Anyone have any ideas?

I also can not use the touch screen with my finger.  I was wondering if my perticular model was touch abled as well as pen abled.  Can anyone help me?

I called Lenovo and they can not locate my serial number so they won't or can't help.  Any help would be appreciated.

Guru
Message 10 of 16 (3,970 Views)

matthemattics wrote:

I also can not use the touch screen with my finger.  I was wondering if my perticular model was touch abled as well as pen abled.  Can anyone help me?

I called Lenovo and they can not locate my serial number so they won't or can't help.  Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!

Most of the X60 tablets were pen-only.

You can find the specs of your machine when shipped by entering the serial here:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/partsLookup.page

Let us know what FRU # is returned for the LCD panel.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Top kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count