Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ditschi
Paper Tape
Views: 1,320
Message 1 of 5

X61 Tablet - New Harddrive and active Protection

Hello

I'm planning to buy a new and larger harddrive (500GB) for my x61 tablet.

My Question is: Does the Active Protection System (APS) work with any Harddrive which is able to park heads?

In asking because I'm not sure, if the thinkPad recognizes movements with a built in g-sensor inside the laptop (not in the harddrive) or a sensor inside of the harddrive (someone told me, that some drives have a g-sensor built in which APS is using)

Can I change the harddrive and APS still works ??  

Is there something to think of when changing the harddrive (except copying the system ;-))

Thanks for your help

Ditschi

jaybird
Punch Card
Views: 1,311
Message 2 of 5

Re: X61 Tablet - New Harddrive and active Protection

Check the manufacturer's hard drive specifications/data sheet for the support of IDLE IMMEDIATE ATA command which the Active Protection System uses to park the drive head without flushing the cache when the APS is engaged.

More information @ http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Active_Protection_System

I am personally using a WD scorpio Black 320 GB 7200 RPM drive with free fall sensor which appears to support this feature (I can hear the drive head parking when the APS is engaged and all read/writes are halted).

Hope that helps.

bp409
Punch Card
Views: 1,220
Message 3 of 5

jaybird,

I see that you use WD Scorpio Black HDD and because I am thinking to change my stock drive with that one, I want to ask you - Is there any problem with doubling of the x61t intgrated APS with HDD integr. APS ?   I mean are they mess-up each other?

jaybird
Punch Card
Views: 1,209
Message 4 of 5

I personally have not had any issues as the APS does engage and park the drive head and re-engage the head when acceleration is no longer detected.  I was running disk defragmenter when the APS engaged and detected no corrupt files after doing fdisk. To test this for certain I'd really have to do the drop test.  From what I have gathered so far, I have no issues with the Thinkpad APS and the scorpio's freefall sensor.

FYI the reason why I bought the scorpio with free fall sensor is to protect the drive in an OS environment where kernel level support for the Thinkpad APS may not exist.  For example, running a Hackintosh.

bp409
Punch Card
Views: 1,168
Message 5 of 5

thanks for answer!

And at last I was wondering about WD working temperature - do you feel it's hotter than previous HDD?

Top Kudoed Authors