Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

02-10-2010

seattle

5 Signins

79 Page Views

• Views: 79
  • Message 1 of 3

X61 Video Driver Crashes/External Monitor doesn't work/Vista

2010-02-10, 7:24 AM

Hi,

Last night I upgraded the Video driver (among other things). It is now the latest version 7.15.10.1576.

Now I have two problems:

1) The external monitor doesn't work anymore

2) The video driver frequently crashes... this seems to be a problem that comes and goes with each new driver?

How do I find a stable driver... (Vista)

Thanks

Axel

Options

9 Posts

04-30-2008

ohio

10 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: X61 Video Driver Crashes/External Monitor doesn't work/Vista

2010-02-12, 1:13 AM

Hi Axel-

Two things working against you here-Vista and it''s drivers.  I never use Windows drivers for this every reason that you are describing now.

Roll back driver in Device Manager or go back to a previous restore point.

Rule of thumb-don't fix what's not broke.

Tpadtech

~fixing one broken IBM notebook at a time-12 years and running~

Options

3 Posts

02-10-2010

seattle

5 Signins

79 Page Views

• Views: 79
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: X61 Video Driver Crashes/External Monitor doesn't work/Vista -SOLVED-

2010-02-12, 6:18 AM

Problem solved, actually this seemed more like a Inte/Lenovo problem rather than Vista.

1) I installed the latest  Driver from Intel Web Site (Version 15.12.4.1666) which seems to be a bit newer than the latest Lenovo driver. You have to manuallly install the driver by first removing the existing one, rebooting, canceling the automatic driver search, and then specifiy the location of the downloaded driver. I found this  solution on a different Lenovo forum. If Lenovo were a bit more on the ball, they would have updated their driver as well ( Driver date is something like March 2009 so they had a year).  I can now run the Video stress test from the Lenovo Toolbox without a crash and the system seems otherwise stable.

2) The problem with the non-working external monitor was related to an option in the Lenovo Presentation Manager/Scheme configurator.  Something about Vista controlling the display needed to be "un-selected".

Seems like some of these problems are caused by manufactureres provided extra help, that turns out to get int the way.

Axel

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms