Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sipp11
802.11n
Views: 3,175
Message 1 of 21

X61T: won't change screen orientation when switching to tablet mode

Does anyone have any idea what can cause this problem? I tried to install new OS, both XP & Vista both from scratch and recovery disc, but it still doesn't work.

Usually when switching to tablet mode or switching back, screen will automatically set to new orientation, right? I suspected a while ago that when I switched to tablet mode, it didn't change any, but when I switched back, it changed. I thought I was messing up with some utilities or drivers. So, I didn't care that much. I just noticed that it didn't respond to anything now. As a result, ActiveRotate will not work as well since it will be used only in tablet mode. However,  I can calibrate accelerometer just fine; active protection also is working as it should be. Tablet button all work.

In brief, I believe that there is a switch that is broken on my system, but I couldn't figure out what that is. I check on LCD part, http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-67024, I first thought LCD hinge is the one, but there is no wire connection or any sort to it. Now I have no clue. If you have any idea, please share.

Thank you very much,

sipp11

Message Edited by sipp11 on 03-03-2009 10:59 PM
LevelbossMike
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,993
Message 2 of 21

Re: X61T: won't change screen orientation when switching to tablet mode

Hello sipp11!

I have the exact same problem. I'm using Windows 7 Beta as OS and since January everything has worked perfectly. Unfortunately the tablet mode has stopped working the way you described it 2 days ago.

Have you found a solution to this problem? I also tried to reinstall Windows 7, but it still doesn't work. Reinstalling the Wacom drivers didn't help either.

I'm starting to think that something with the hardware is wrong.

Solution anyone??? Smiley Wink

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Message Edited by LevelbossMike on 04-02-2009 03:09 AM
sipp11
802.11n
Views: 2,983
Message 3 of 21

Hi LevelBossMike,

I still struggle finding the solution. However, one thing I'm pretty sure of is it's hardware problem. Actually I took the machine apart, but unfortunately I still have no clue what and where this switch exactly is. At first, I thought it was accelerometer somewhere on some boards in the screen part, but it didn't look like there is one there (there is one on motherboard) I wish I had time to diagnose it again soon.

No one seems to care about the problem though. Smiley Sad That makes me really sad. I am not saying that I am happy to see you face the same problem, but I'm glad to see I'm not alone. :-P If I find anything, I definitely let you know.

Also If lenovo guys stop by this topic, please give me the light or ask someone who might know for us... at least help me find out how the machine knows when changing mode. I might be able to figure out the way to resolve it.

Regards,

sipp11

LevelbossMike
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,976
Message 4 of 21

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=13860

I still got hope that this is a driver issue. I don't know what it's like with your machine, but my x61t "knows" when it is changed into tablet mode. acutally it must knows something has changed because the tablet buttons and the cursor on the screen stop working when you turn the screen into tablet mode.

i thought it was the intel graphics driver i downloaded via windows update, but uninstalling them didn't help either. If reinstalling the drivers in the way it is mentioned in the link above doesn't help, I will send my x61t to service in the next week. perhaps they will be able to find the problem.

i will keep you updated if it's the driver install sequence that's causing the problem...

Message Edited by LevelbossMike on 04-02-2009 04:14 AM
LevelbossMike
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,967
Message 5 of 21

just tried the install sequence mentioned in the link. no improvements. it really seems to be a hardware issue. i will try to install vista instead of windows7 but i don't think this will change anything.

i'm really frustrated right now. lenovo telephone support also isn't able to help me or able to tell me what might be causing the problem on the hardware side. fortunately they agreed to collect my tablet to check it at their repair center. unfortunately they can't lend me a replacement model for the time it is being repaired so i won't be able to send it in for the next 2 week...please keep me updated if you find a solution for this problem.

best regards,

Mike

meumar
Paper Tape
Views: 2,948
Message 6 of 21

Yeah - I also have this problem...  definitely let me know if you find a solution.  Mine is no longer under warranty so I don't really want to send it to Lenovo for this.
meumar
Paper Tape
Views: 2,945
Message 7 of 21

Oh - actually to clarify - mine does change orientation to portrait when I initially switch it to tablet mode.  However, the orientation doesn't automatically rotatate when I physically turn the computer around like it's supposed to.  If I push the button on the screen to make it change orientation that works.

It's not really a big deal for me though but it would be nice to find out what is going on.  

sipp11
802.11n
Views: 2,942
Message 8 of 21

@meumar

For your case, go check ActiveRotate if it was enable. [go to tablet shortcut menu >> setting] You may try to calibrate one more time to see if it works.

If ActiveRotate is gray [cannot set anything], then you have to install Active Protection System (aka. accelerometer driver) first. That should do it.

Hope this help =)

sipp11

meumar
Paper Tape
Views: 2,931
Message 9 of 21

Thanks!  Yah installing that driver worked!  I guess I need to learn more about my tablet.
sipp11
802.11n
Views: 2,929
Message 10 of 21

Have fun with your tablet =)

I still have to learn a lot more about mine though :'(

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals