Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RockSockDoc
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 22,426
Message 1 of 12

X61t: Error 0192 Embedded Security hardware tamper detected

I'm carefully posting here because I doubt this is a model-specific error ...

I shut down my Lenovo X61 tablet laptop, packed it for a short trip, opened it up an hour later, and saw this:

Error 0192 Embedded Security hardware tamper detected

I've never set a BIOS password, and, in fact, the security chip setting was never enabled (still isn't), so why there would even be an issue is beyond me. Could it be a loose memory or a cmos battery going bad? It seems to always go to this message now, whether or not I have the one disk drive in its slot or whether or not the battery is in or if it's on a charger. So, it has nothing to do with the operating system (since it happens even without a hard drive inserted).

Any ideas how to diagnose why this error just popped up?

Error 0192: Embedded Security hardware tamper detected

security_chip.JPG

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content (Type of machine).

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 22,395
Message 2 of 12

Re: Error 0192 Embedded Security hardware tamper detected

What model ThinkPad?  X200, X201, X220, X230, ??

RockSockDoc
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 22,370
Message 3 of 12

> What model ThinkPad?  X200, X201, X220, X230, ??

It's the X61 tablet PC but, given the error, I doubt the issue is laptop model specifically other than it has a security chip which seems to have an issue somehow with something.

So that's why I posted this in the X-Series in general forum (instead of the X61-specific forum). This is something that would be common to all the security-enabled laptops, I would think.

It has nothing to do with the hard drive because it happens with or without it; likewise with the battery and/or power supply. When I power the Thinkpad up and press the blue "ThinkVantage" button, and then press F1 to go to the BIOSS, the "Secuirty->Security Chip->Current setting" was "Inactive" and was never changed since I got the laptop. I did try to set it to "Disabled" but it didn't make a bit of difference (as I can see from googling that it will take a Lenovo expert who has seen this before to figure how to debug this one).

To Lenovo Experts:

Q: How would you suggest I debug this Lenovo-specific Thinkpad-specific Security-Chip-specific error?

error_0192_system_security.jpg

RockSockDoc
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 22,342
Message 4 of 12

It seems, on this forum alone, a bunch of Thinkpad users have had the same problem over time.

NONE have received a satisfactory answer. All were told their Thinkpads were bricked.

1. 0192: System Security - Embedded Security hardware tamper detected Options  03-18-2011 09:21 AM
  2. 0192 System Security error. Options  07-06-2009 03:58 PM
  3. 0192: System security embedded security hardware tamper detected Options  04-11-2009 06:27 AM
  4. M50 8189-7hg bios error 0197 and 0192 Options  12-03-2008 02:41 AM
  5. etc.

Googling, I see similar situations.

1. Lenovo T61 dying young? 0192 error
  2. Fixing my lenovo T61
  3. 0192: System Security - Embedded Security hardware tamper detected
  4. Thinkpad T61 bios chip
  5. t60 0192 embedded security hardware tamper detected
  6. IBM ThinkPad R60 Error 0192?
  7. Thinkpad won't start, BIOS problem? Please HELP!
  8. Error 0192 System Security Embedded Security Hardware Tamper Detected Related Drivers
  9. etc.

Given everyone was told their Thinkpad was bricked, this is 'starting' to look like an egregious bug somehow in the motherboard - but I would need diagnostic tools to ascertain that in actuality.

Q: Can anyone suggest general motherboard/memory debugging tools?

SMG47
802.11n
Views: 22,312
Message 5 of 12

Have you tried resetting the security chip?  If you enable the security chip from the bios you will see an option to reset the chip.

It's definitely worth a shot.

You might also try disconnecting the cmos battery.

Nprod
Token Ring
Views: 22,275
Message 6 of 12

Dumb question, but have you tried activating the security chip? Perhaps there is some sort of bug where it mistakes being disabled for tampering.

RockSockDoc
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 22,262
Message 7 of 12

> Have you tried resetting the security chip? 

Thank you for that advice. I have not tried anything yet. I suspect, in the short trip, the laptop was 'jostled' so, I'm 'thinking' something is loose or damaged inside. I'm currently looking for instructions for opening up the X61 tablet laptop since googling showed memory chips can get unseated, causing the same error.

> If you enable the security chip from the bios you will see an option to reset the chip.

Ah. Interesting. I've never TOUCHED anything on the security chip. Being an old person, I know better than to turn on any security 'things' because they always bite me in the end and never help me in the beginning. I will try that in the BIOS and report back.

> You might also try disconnecting the cmos battery.

What I will do, if resetting the security chip doesn't work, will be to open the laptop to see if something jostled loose in the short trip in the trunk. I did go over some speedbumps rather quickly (that's what suspensions are for, I thought), so maybe the laptop bounced in its bag a bit jostling something loose.

>  have you tried activating the security chip?

> Perhaps there is some sort of bug where it mistakes being disabled for tampering.

The security chip has not been enabled since I got the laptop, so, I doubt all of a sudden the motherboard needs the security chip to be enabled - but - I will enable it, reset it, and then disable it again - to see if that hopefully magic sequence will save the laptop from being bricked.

RockSockDoc
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 22,266
Message 8 of 12

How do I take apart the Thinkpad X61 tablet PC to 'reseat' the CMOS battery & memory chips?

EDIT: Today (10/16) I asked in the X61t forum, how to take apart the laptop - but the moderators moved it here.

Recently, after a car trip, the Thinkpad X61 tablet PC bricked itself (which is the topic of this thread):

- Error 0192 Embedded Security hardware tamper detected

The suggestion is that the CMOS battery or memory chips became unseated due to jostling about in the trunk of the automobile.

So I ask here:

Q: Where do you guys get the "ThinkPad T61 Service and Troubleshooting Guide"?

Q: Specifically where can I find the instructions to open up the Thinkpad X61t to reseat all the connections?

original.jpeg

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 22,261
Message 9 of 12

Re: How do I take apart the Thinkpad X61 tablet PC to 'reseat' the CMOS battery & memory chips?

Check out your hardware maintenance manual:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guides-and-manuals/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-66749

Before pulling the CMOS battery, though, be absolutely sure that there is no Supervisor password set in BIOS. I've read that doing so with one set will lock down the machine and require a system board replacement.

Hth.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
X1C3 X1T3 X1T2 Helix1 X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p TPStack Yoga910 Yoga900S
TPYoga12 T520 T420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Yoga900 Yoga3Pro Yoga2Pro Yoga13

I am not a Lenovo employee

SMG47
802.11n
Views: 22,221
Message 10 of 12

Re: How do I take apart the Thinkpad X61 tablet PC to 'reseat' the CMOS battery & memory chips?

Also checkout the x60/61 service video displays full disassembly/assembly procedures.
http://service.lenovo.partner-management.com/content/CourseWarePublic/6617/course%20files/index.html
Top Kudoed Authors