Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
epk87
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 339
Message 1 of 4

Yoga X1 Gen 3 Fingerprint Sensor not working

Randomly the sensor just stopped working and in the sign-in options, fingerprint isn't even an option. Windows hello says it is not available on this device. The biometrics was hidden in device manager and I uninstalled it. Downloaded the drivers from the lenovo support site and restarted, which did not work. Now the biometrics isn't even showing in the device manager. Any suggestions?

My experience with Lenovo has been a mixed-bag...by far the best thinkpad I've owned and it was working great until it randomly starts dropping wifi connections and now the fingerprint reader. I don't understand how things just stop working all of a sudden. I make sure to keep the system updated - are there bad updates out there?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 296
Message 2 of 4

Re: Yoga X1 Gen 3 Fingerprint Sensor not working

Sorry for this trouble.  There was a bad WiFi driver that came from Windows Update.  This driver will fix it:  https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

For the fingerprint problem, it's possible that the hardware died so we need to check that.  Please reboot and press F1 to enter BIOS setup.  Then go to Security -> Fingerprint menu and choose the option at the bottom about Reset Fingerprint Data.  What happens?

epk87
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 291
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the suggestions. WiFi is working just fine now. I know this is off-topic, but is there a reason why it keeps flagging my home WiFi as unsafe? I'm using Spectrum equipment if that helps. Not sure how to get around this.

As for the fingerprint problem, when I choose the reset option it says the fingerprint hardware isn't attached. I'm still under warranty, should I send my computer in?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 273
Message 4 of 4

@epk87 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. WiFi is working just fine now. I know this is off-topic, but is there a reason why it keeps flagging my home WiFi as unsafe? I'm using Spectrum equipment if that helps. Not sure how to get around this.

I guess you are referring to WiFi Security in Lenovo Vantage.  I don't have a good answer for you except to say that this feature doesn't work very well.  I suggest that you disable it.

@epk87 wrote:

As for the fingerprint problem, when I choose the reset option it says the fingerprint hardware isn't attached. I'm still under warranty, should I send my computer in?

Yes, unfortunately there is no other way to solve this problem when BIOS reports that "fingerprint hardware isn't attached".  Sorry for this trouble.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors