Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpearse
Paper Tape
Views: 7,152
Message 1 of 6

x200 Tablet CPU Fan Failure

My computer is no more than two months old, and last night the CPU fan (on the left side of the computer just next to the power adapter port) started making a very loud, grating noise. I shut the laptop down for the night, and this morning when I turned it on I received a "Fan error" message, and the computer proceeded to shut off immediately. Thinking that there might be dust obstructing the fan (after two months this was highly unlikely, but there was a chance), so I used "Dust-off" and blew it into the heat sync. The fan spun with some noise, no dust came out of the sync, but when I tried turning the computer on immediately afterward, it worked. When Windows booted up, the fan started accelerating and stared making the very loud grating noise again, and then after about 30 seconds stopped spinning altogether. I do not feel any heat or air coming out of the heat sync. I am extremely worried, as I have to leave for China on June 16th and do not have time to send this in to the depot for repair. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 7,138
Message 2 of 6

Re: x200 Tablet CPU Fan Failure

Hi jpearse, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

Sorry to hear about the odd behavior of your X200 fan.

It's possible there is something in the fan. To get better access, you can remove the keyboard (movie of that here).

There's a very good chance a depot repair will be done before you leave, if you start process right away.

You could also try a local warranty service provider.

I would opt for the depot repair, because I've had good experience with it (almost always returned the same week), and if it was important, I'd make sure I had a plan B.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
kbour
Serial Port
Views: 7,100
Message 3 of 6

I had the same problem (search in this forum for particulars) and lived with it for 6 months before it got worse and  the NB kept overheating and shutting down.  I tried various "home" remedies-nothing worked.  Save yourself the trouble and call Lenovo right away for warranty service.  You should get your NB back in just a few days with a new motherboard.  There must have been something defective with the original fans.  Mine works great now!

Ken

jpearse
Paper Tape
Views: 7,074
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the reply guys. I've contacted tech support and they are overnighting me a new fan which I will install myself. I'll let you guys know if this fixes the problem.

My only question would be if anyone has a link to instructions on how to remove/replace the CPU fan.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 7,069
Message 5 of 6

Use the movies and the Hardware Maintenance Manual. Also on the Service & Support Training site.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Highlighted
heretohelp
Token Ring
Views: 6,650
Message 6 of 6

Again you seem to be having the fan error problem and the dreaded grinding noises...

That noise is (probley) the spring becoming dislodged and poping into the fan blades this either burns out the fan motor or worse still blocks the fan blades. This in turn resulting in the bios detecting the fan not able to spin then in turn issuing the fan error message.

They have supplied us with a new remanufactured base for the unit this looks to (maybe) fix the issue but as usual they have kept you in the dark about this problem. Sounds like you need your unit looked  a little more closely.

BTW Replacing the fan does not fix the problem I know this because I have units that have already had this done and they have failed not long after the temp fix.

Your not the only one I have seen a few complaints about the issue here is a link to a well documented example

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/lenovo-ibm/22517-loud-x200-fan-solved.html

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors