Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pc_clone
Paper Tape
Views: 3,380
Message 1 of 6

x201 Tablet battery life

Before I gave a call to Lenovo Support I was wondering what others are seeing with their x201t laptops.

I have the i7 640LM processor, the model is 2985-EYU to be specific.  I have also added the Gobi 2000 WWAN card.

Right now I am getting about 4hrs on battery  using Power Source Optimized profile with wake timers turned off and between 2 and 4 on brightness.

The specs say up to 8hrs or so.  I know that is under very specific circumstances but I thought 4 hours was a bit low.

I can update with any other info if needed.

DennisMoore
What's DOS?
Views: 3,360
Message 2 of 6

Re: x201 Tablet battery life

Same here with 2985 EZG

Longest predicted Battery-Life I've seen in Energy Manager was 6:09 Hours. Wireless Connections were switched off, Screen at Brightness-Level 8, CPU Idle, battery charged to 100%.

I don't see how lenovo could predict 8 Hours Battery Life. Maybe they assume that the user does not work with the notebook and the screen is always at brightness-level 0.

BTW: Did you install a fresh windows or did you choose to use the preinstalled one? I've heard that battery life is better with the preinstalled windows.
pc_clone
Paper Tape
Views: 3,341
Message 3 of 6

@DennisMoore wrote:
Longest predicted Battery-Life I've seen in Energy Manager was 6:09 Hours. Wireless Connections were switched off, Screen at Brightness-Level 8, CPU Idle, battery charged to 100%.
I can get it to a bit over 5hrs predicted if I don't use it and let the processor idle and have it at 0 brightness (auto dim), but I have a 7200 RPM hd and the 640LM vs your 5400 RPM and 620.  Would that be worth an hour of predicted run time?

@DennisMoore wrote:
I don't see how lenovo could predict 8 Hours Battery Life. Maybe they assume that the user does not work with the notebook and the screen is always at brightness-level 0.

Well that is fairly standard for battery tests, it's not "real world" but you usually will get >50% of their number, unlike what I'm seeing.

@DennisMoore wrote:
BTW: Did you install a fresh windows or did you choose to use the preinstalled one? I've heard that battery life is better with the preinstalled windows.

I used the preinstalled Windows 7 x64. I have done all the updates for both Windows and Lenovo drivers/software.

DennisMoore
What's DOS?
Views: 3,324
Message 4 of 6

I don't have the Standard-HDD installed any longer. I switched to a 120GB SSD (Corsair with Sandforce Controller). But it makes no difference in overall runtime. It's just darn fast Smiley Wink

The CPUs should consume the same amount of power if you believe wikipedia.

Maybe there is a difference in the powersaving-profiles. I customized mine and set everything to "lowest" for on-battery times. The default settings are a bit different.
olapid
What's DOS?
Views: 3,181
Message 5 of 6

I have similar problems. i7 640

The battery meter fluctuates widely in its forecast predicting varying times on the same charge

May max at 5:30   hours using energy efficient settings but soon after that will report 4 hours at a full charge or even go down to 2.5 hours.

Is the problem with the power meter software or with the computer.

I did a new install of windows upgrading from the deliveredWindows 7  32 bit to 64 bit. The power meter of windows predicted better values than the lenovo meter is that part of the issue?

Tthis is far from the promised 8 hours.

I am planning on timing the computer. does anyone know a way of measuring it without baby sitting the computer? Is there some program that may help?

pc_clone
Paper Tape
Views: 3,140
Message 6 of 6

@olapid wrote:

I have similar problems. i7 640

The battery meter fluctuates widely in its forecast predicting varying times on the same charge

May max at 5:30   hours using energy efficient settings but soon after that will report 4 hours at a full charge or even go down to 2.5 hours.

Is the problem with the power meter software or with the computer.

That is normal because the processor and other components adjust to usage.  So if the processor isn't being used it lowers the clock speed and power usage.  The only idea I could think of for testing is to turn off sleep and run any stopwatch (on your phone maybe) to see how long it lasts.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors